Marketing & Communications Assistant (Summer Intern – Paid)
Outward Bound Canada
Position: Marketing & Communications Assistant (Summer Intern – Paid)
Immediate Supervisor: Head of Marketing & Philanthropy
Locations: Working remotely, from home, Toronto, ON
Start date: June 2021 (8 week contract)
Outward Bound Canada is committed to helping Canadian youth change the trajectory of their lives. With young people desiring to thrive in an unpredictable and changing world, OBC, a registered charity, offers social-emotional education through experiential adventures in the outdoors. Since 1969, OBC has inspired over 150,000 participants, with a particular emphasis on providing greater access to those facing socioeconomic barriers, to discover their potential. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Outward Bound Canada has prioritized the health and wellbeing of our employees, participants and the wider community. As of August 2020, we resumed some of our programs and implemented new COVID-19 Field Procedures to prioritize the health and safety of staff and participants. We are looking forward to a renewed connection with youth in nature in 2021.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Marketing & Communications Assistant supports the Marketing Department and will assist with tasks related to copywriting, report writing, website blog posting, marketing communications, social media, and minimal graphic design.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the implementation of Outward Bound Canada marketing projects, working with the marketing team in the development of copy written materials, print and digital.
- Assist in the coordination and management of OBC’s social media networks; tasks may include research, sourcing content, writing, scheduling and moderating posts, monitoring social channels, and reporting.
- Assist the Marketing team with email marketing campaigns; tasks may include content creation, research, writing, design and layout, mailing list support, and more.
- Update Outward Bound Canada websites, as required, and the development of website blog posts.
- Online research to support outreach, recruitment, fundraising, PR and brand awareness efforts, collection and development of marketing related assets.
- Assist in the collection and development of marketing materials, reports and marketing related assets.
- Provide insight on web-related functions associated with the organization.
- Collect and monitor data while analyzing potential trends within the market.
- Assist in the solicitation, organization and presentation of both marketing materials and archival materials, including photos, film and video, print materials, and more.
- Assist with other marketing-specific administrative tasks as required, such as arranging printing and delivery of various materials, maintaining an inventory of marketing materials, maintenance and organization of marketing folders on Google Drive, assisting in organizing and shipping promotional materials to regional program offices and third-party promotional partners, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree or Certificate in marketing, communications or a related field.
- Experience with marketing related communications.
- A working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite.
- A working knowledge of WordPress.
- Comfortable utilizing a wide variety of social networks and community moderation tools, which may include Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, LinkedIn, Instagram and/or Flickr (prior experience with community moderation for other brands an asset).
- Strong organizational, communication and administrative skills, and proven ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (creative writing abilities a strong asset).
- Technologically savvy with a high level of computer competency; strong experience with MS Office programs (particularly Word and PowerPoint, familiarity with Excel), Google Mail and Apps, database, and cloud computing.
- Experience using a central database or other tracking software an asset.
$16.75 per hour, 35 hours/week
READY TO APPLY?
Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicating “Marketing Assistant”
- The position is in collaboration with Canada Summer Jobs and has eligibility criteria including:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment.
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident or person whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee protection act.
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
Application deadline: June 11, 2021
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience beyond the technical requirements of a job, if your experience is close to what you see listed, please consider applying. Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. We encourage applications from all individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, racialized people, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and all other equity-deserving groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage during the hiring process.