LIT/CIT (Leaders In Training) Head
At Easter Seals Ontario, we provide overnight camping opportunities for kids and young adults with physical disabilities. Each summer we welcome staff from all over the world and pride ourselves on providing an awesome pre-camp training, so our staff are equipped with all the skills they need to give our campers a great experience. Our camps make many traditional summer camp activities accessible and inclusive, such as swimming, boating, archery, high ropes, and more! Check out our website to learn more about our locations in Perth, Ontario and London, Ontario.
Reporting to the Camp Life Director the LIT/CIT Head will develop, implement, oversee, and report on a Leader-in-Training and Counsellor-in-Training program. The LIT/CIT Head will work with the LIT/CIT campers to ensure the to deliver a participant-focused experience oriented toward empowerment and personal development within the camp setting.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Develop program goals following the Easter Seals Ontario camp goals & objectives.
- Responsible for the daily instructional aspect of the LIT/CIT program area during the LIT/CIT sessions and running leadership activities outside of these times.
- Orient camp staff to the LIT/CIT program and purpose.
- Evaluate the LIT/CIT participants both formally and informally.
- Assist counsellors in helping the campers participate in the LIT/CIT programming.
- Responsible for providing appropriate camper care including bathing, showering, brushing teeth, hair care, dressing, toileting (changing incontinence pads), cleaning intermittent catheterization, feeding, lifting and transferring, and any other activities of daily living. Training for these activities is provided during pre-camp orientation.
- Participate as a member of the program staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events and other all-camp activities.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual.
- Complete reports related to role in a timely and professional manner.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Camp Life Director or Camp Director.
Physical Aspects of the Job
- Ability to observe camper behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-management techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Be able to manage physical activities such as running, standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requirement for eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to assist campers.
Number of Positions: 2
Reports To: Camp Life Director
Compensation: $80.50/day + meals and accommodations
Location: Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON) and Camp Woodeden (London, ON) each require 1 LIT/CIT Head
Camp Merrywood: June 3, 2023 – August 20, 2023
Camp Woodeden: June 3, 2023 – July 31, 2023
Minimum age: 18 years
Previous leadership and teaching experience is essential, as is past camp experience. CPR/Standard First Aid is required prior to the start of the camping season.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
- Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
- Onsite housing provided for camping season and meals provided on camp session days.
- June – August eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
How to Apply: Application forms can be completed through our website at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions. Please include a resume in the upload area.
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.