Lifeguard & Camp Counsellor
Contract Dates: June 14th – August 20th, 2023
Salary: Starting at 500$ CAD per week depending on experience.
Who we are :
Camp Ouareau is an all-girl’s summer camp situated in Canada with a unique language program that gives campers from a range of different backgrounds the chance to develop their skills and connect with others in a second language. Just north of Montréal, Ouareau is nestled between the Lanaudière mountains, the ideal place to practice your French (or English!), to work on leadership skills, to be a part of a dynamic and empowering team of women while taking advantage of the camp’s lakeside location!
All of our lifeguards are also camp counsellors. Together with another staff member, you will be responsible for caring for a group of eight campers. You will wake them up and help them get ready for the day, and then look after them in the evenings and before bed. During the four activity periods each day, you will spend your time either teaching swim lessons or supporting activities as a lifeguard.
We have several lifeguard specializations available based on your interests and experience:
- Swim Specialization – lead and manage the team that provides camper swim lessons;
- Swim Instructor Specialization – provide camper swim lessons;
- Kayak Specialization – work in a team to assist or lead at helping campers gain kayak skills;
- Canoe Specialization – work in a team to assist or lead at helping campers gain canoe skills;
- Tripping Specialization – plan and lead overnight camping trips, 1-3 day hikes, and 5-6 day canoe trips for campers ages 8-16.
- Developing a safe waterfront that offers a well-rounded program of instructional and recreational activities;
- Assisting in the teaching of waterfront skills;
- Surveillance of swimming areas during recreational programs;
- Strict adherence to the Quebec Camping Association/National Lifeguarding Society pool/waterfront regulations;
- On-going evaluation of waterfront programs;
- Assist in special days with other program staff and participate in activities such as trips, night duties, and meals.
- Ensuring that activities run smoothly;
- Motivating campers in ways that help them gain responsibility, organizational skills and independence;
- Prioritizing the physical and emotional safety of campers at all times.
- 18+ years old
- Available from June 14th to August 20th 2023
- Interest in working with children ages 6-15
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Lifeguarding certification (NLS and/or Beach NLS, or equivalent qualification)
- Excellent communication skills
- Have or plan to obtain certification in first aid (CPR-AED) issued by a legally recognized organization
- Ability to communicate efficiently in French and English
- Option to receive training for NLS Beach and Waterfront;
- Opportunity to work on personal skills such as leadership, communication, language;
- Participate in a community that aims at uplifting and empowering young girls and women.
Housing and Meals : You will be sharing a rustic cabin with 3-9 other people and all meals will be provided by Camp Ouareau.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions! We look forward to meeting you 🙂
To apply, follow this link : https://www.en.ouareau.com/join-our-team