Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $125.06 – $128.06/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 24th to September 2nd, 2023
Reports To: Waterfront Director, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Lifeguard.
The Lifeguards are responsible for the safety and positive experience of all campers and staff on the waterfront and they ensure swimming and boating activities meet BCCA and YMCA standards.
The waterfront is one of the focal points of Camp Elphinstone and lifeguards are required to positively role model, teach and politely enforce waterfront safety rules and regulations for all campers and staff. Lifeguards will also instruct Bronze Cross/Bronze Medallion courses to our Leadership Development campers.
The Lifeguard is a member of the program staff team at camp. The program staff team will responsible for instructing camp activities and supporting other staff in delivering programs. They will also have other daily responsibilities such as helping with supervision of campers, evening cabin support, facilitating early morning and evening programs, program logistics, and care/maintenance of camp program equipment.
· Ensure the safety of all campers and staff at the waterfront during all swimming and boating activities.
· Instruct Bronze Medallion and Cross to Leadership Development 2 campers (ages 16-17) three times throughout the summer. Facilitate experiential and camper-focused swimming and paddling activities when required.
· Regularly inspect, maintain, and inventory all waterfront equipment. Report issues to the Waterfront Director.
· Work with the other waterfront staff to be prepared and familiar with Camp Elphinstone’s waterfront emergency procedures.
· Work with the other members of the program staff team to accomplish shared responsibilities
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· NLS (pool or waterfront)
· Lifesaving Instructor
· Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 successful reference checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· CANSail Instructor
· Paddle Canada Certification
· Standard First Aid Instructor
· NL Instructor