Camp Quality Northwestern Ontario is a volunteer driven non-profit charitable organization that provides free uplifting camp experiences for children affected by cancer and blood disorders and their families. We facilitate a 1-week overnight camp program, hosted at Wilderness Discovery Centre. Camp Quality was brought to Canada in 1988, initiated by a group of dedicated volunteers in Southern Ontario. Our overnight camp programs serve campers between the ages of 7 – 17. We are seeking enthusiastic and motivated volunteers for our summer camp program.
Overnight Summer Camp
Our overnight camp programs give kids affected by cancer a chance to just be kids! What’s unique about Camp Quality? Our campers are matched 1:1 with a volunteer Companion (Camp Counselor) who is there to support them throughout the week. While we do everything in groups at camp for safety, this 1:1 matching provides both campers and caregivers with a level of assurance that their child is well taken care of. Each campsite is a little bit different, but you can expect many classic camp activities, like swimming, sports and games, arts and crafts and more! Our year-round Camp Organizing Committee volunteers plan the schedule and activities for the week.
Camp Week Dates: July 16- July 23, 2022
Description of Role
Our camp lifeguards are not assigned a camper, but are responsible for lifeguarding at the boating/swimming areas during the day. Camp Quality Lifeguard’s keep safety as their highest priority and oversee all waterfront activities including but not limited to: swimming, kayaking, tubing, paddling, and fishing. They provide support, guidance and leadership to our campers and volunteers, ensuring that all CQ policies, OCA Standards and NL standards are followed. The Lifeguards also facilitate our Swim Quest (swim test) at the beginning of camp for all participants.
Lifeguards may support non-waterfront programs as needed throughout the week, so we’re looking for someone who can be flexible and fun!
Confirmed volunteers are required to attend a single day of mandatory training before camp begins. Volunteers must be on-site for the camp program for the duration of the week.
COVID-19 & Camp
We’ll be introducing a number of new ways to keep everyone safe like mandatory vaccinations, screening, testing, masks and more. Here we’ve highlighted a few of our safety protocols that may be in place during camp:
- All campers, volunteers and staff must be fully immunized against COVID-19 in order to attend in-person programs.
- All participants will be required to participate in COVID-19 testing when required.
- All participants will be required to complete COVID-19 screenings when required.
- Campers and volunteers may be assigned to a cohort for the duration of their camp week.
- Masks will be required during designated times for everyone.
These protocols are subject to change and detailed communication will be sent to confirmed volunteers prior to their camp session.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Experience working with children or youth is an asset
- At least 16 years of age
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’
- Current National Lifeguard Certification Required.
- Current Waterfront National Lifeguard Certification an asset.
- Pleasure Craft Operator (PCO) an asset (or willing to obtain).
- Able to provide a clear and current Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening. (18+ years)
- Able to provide a parent/guardian signed disclosure agreement (16-17 years)
- Able to provide 2 references
- Available for an online interview
- NEW! Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
- Complete a mandatory training
How to Apply:
If you are interested in joining our volunteer team this summer please head to www.campquality.org/programvolunteer to learn more about our program offerings and to register. Once you’ve completed your application, a regional Volunteer Coordinator will contact you regarding your application status.
If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange the appropriate accommodation. (ie. Closed Captioning).
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org