Leadership Trainer – Norquay
The YMCA of Northeastern Ontario is a dynamic charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of communities by offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. We have been offering programs and services to the North Bay community since 1958 and the Greater Sudbury community since 1936! To learn more about our programs and services offered please visit our website.
We are currently looking for a Norquay Trainer to join our team of committed professionals. This full-time contract position within the Association is housed at the YMCA of Northeastern Ontario’s YMCA John Island Camp location in Spanish, Ontario. Under the supervision of the Leadership & Outrtripping Manager, the Norquay Trainer is responsible for the planning, implementation, facilitation, debriefing and evaluation of the second year Leadership Program.
Start Date: June 27, 2022
Location: Spanish, Ontario
Hours: Summer Contract
Summary of Qualifications
- Possession of or working towards College diploma/ University Degree in outdoor recreation or related field
- Extensive experience working with youth ages 14-16
- 50 days logged as a camping trip leader
- Experience leading wilderness trips in a variety of skill sets (canoe, sea-kayaking, trekking)
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) Certification (or willing to obtain)
- ORCKA Canoe Tripping & Moving Water Certification (or willing to obtain)
- National Lifeguard Certification
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- Bilingualism considered an asset
- Current and satisfactory Police Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search
- Plan, organize and implement the Norquay River program
- Support and lead Norquay River participants and focus on their technical skills such as whitewater wilderness expedition, risk management and other program areas of camp
- Promote leadership skills for campers while providing experiences in wilderness travel, whitewater canoeing and camper care skills
- Follow and implement the Norquay curriculum as it is found in the Norquay trainer manual
- Build relationships with and be a positive role model for all campers and other staff members
- Educate and evaluate Norquay River participants in ‘soft skills’ (emotional management, risk management, problem solving, communication)
Please ensure that your cover letter and resume both specify the job title of the position that you are applying for.
The YMCA of Northeastern Ontario is an equal opportunity employer that is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment. All of our employees and applicants will be promoted or employed solely on the basis of their abilities and qualifications.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that successful candidates will be required to submit a current and satisfactory Police Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search for review proior to starting employment.
Submit resume and cover letter by the deadline date to: Finn Thomas, Camp Director, at Finn.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Job title in the subject line.