LEADERSHIP (LIT) INSTRUCTOR
Do you love team-builders and hands-on outdoor nature experiences? How about supporting the leaders of tomorrow and facilitating leadership discoveries in old forest groves? Are you passionate about leadership and nurturing the next generation of Staff? Leadership Camp Instructors have the privilege of working with eager Leaders-In-Training (LITs) to transform their outlook and leadership skills. When you think of personal growth, challenging yourself, and stepping outside of your comfort zone with support, think of the LIT program. Four of the eight Summer Camp sessions have a side-by-side LIT program for 14 to 16-year-old campers looking to explore their abilities as facilitators, communicators, and leaders. The LIT program is a mix of sessions led by the LIT Instructor for the LITs and LITs shadowing staff members as they lead activities and campers. Given that all staff stay onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while camp is in session, the action never stops, and applicants should enjoy working in a dynamic work environment. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a must, as well as a yearning for an endless summer!
• Cultivate a safe environment for LIT participants to test different leadership styles and reflect on their experiences.
• Provide feedback to LIT participants throughout the week.
• Facilitate workshops and experiences for LIT participants to cultivate and grow their leadership abilities.
• Demonstrate positive and engaging leadership for campers aged 8-16, fellow staff members, and volunteers.
• Work Transport Bus stops from Metro Vancouver/ Squamish as needed.
• Drive the truck and trailer as part of weekly transport in and out of camp and other driving as needed.
• Other duties as assigned (e.g. cleaning cabins and program areas)
• Staff training -June 22nd to 26th 2024
• LIT weeks: July 7th to 12th, July 21st to 26th, July 28th to 2nd, August 18th to 23rd.
• Outside of LIT weeks, the LIT Instructor may choose to take on other roles on our team, such as Instructor.
• Comply with Evans Lake’s policies and procedures.
• Take ownership of the safety of campers and fellow staff members.
Reporting & Evlaulation
• LIT Instructors report to the Program Manager and receive mentoring and coaching from senior staff.
• The Program Manager will initiate a goal setting and evaluation process.
• Continuous feedback and communication among staff members are encouraged.
Required Certifications & Experience
• First Aid Certificate (at minimum, an 8-hour basic certificate that includes CPR)
• Additional certifications and licenses are considered to be assets, including a Class 4 driver’s license and certifications in lifeguarding, advanced first aid, paddling, rock climbing, and outdoor recreation and leadership.
• Experience working with youth (in an outdoor setting with an environmental focus is an asset.)
• Criminal reference check with a vulnerable secretors’ screening.
• Compensation begins at $159/day, with an increase of up to $5/day, according to experience and certifications. Free room and board are also provided when programs are in session.
• To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB
• ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests.
• We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located near Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation)