Canterbury Hills Leadership Development Coordinator
Position: Leadership Development Coordinator (Resource Team)
Type of Position: Spring/Summer Contract, Full-Time
Salary: starting at $525/week
Start/Finish Date: May 1 – August 27, 2023
The Leadership Development Coordinator is primarily responsible for providing mentorship and oversight to our experiential learning programs including the Leader-in-Training program and the Adventure Camp program.
Spring duties will include:
- Assisting with the application and hiring process for Leaders-in-Training
- Evaluating and updating resources and practices of the LIT and Adventure Camp programs
- Creating the LIT 1 and 2 session calendar and assigning Resource Team members to lead based on skill set
- Confirming routes, site bookings, and transportation for Adventure Camp and LIT expeditionary trips
- Assisting in the development and implementation of pre-camp training
- Participating in Resource Team hard and soft skill training
- Developing personal and program goals and objectives
- Planning and implementing staff training events
- Working on site improvement projects
Summer duties will include:
- Leading weekly LIT beginning of the week check-ins
- Planning and leading LIT sessions based on personal areas of expertise
- Assigning LITs to job placements and providing supervision, mentorship, and support throughout placements
- Evaluating LITs participation through staff feedback, guest feedback, and self evaluations
- Providing supervision and training to assigned Adventure Camp expedition staff and volunteers
- Providing logistical support of offsite expeditions and overseeing the smooth running of Adventure Camp programs in collaboration with assigned Adventure Camp leaders
- Collaborating within the Resource Team to contribute to tasks related to office administration, health and wellness, food service, and camper care
The Leadership Development Coordinator is a member of the senior staff team, called the Resource Team, at camp. The Resource Team works collaboratively with the Camp Director and Assistant Director to oversee all aspects of the summer camp program. All team members balance team and individual responsibilities throughout the work term.
All Members of the Resource Team will:
- Have strong leadership, initiative, organizational, and administrative skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Be able to initiate, support, and encourage spiritual growth of campers and staff
- Be able to relate well to a variety of ages and demonstrate an ability to mediate, facilitate, and build unity among staff
- Enjoy working with children and possess relevant soft skills in youth interaction
- Exhibit commitment to serving campers and staff as per the mission and values of Canterbury Hills
- Welcome all and celebrate diversity within Canterbury Hills Camp
- Have previous experience working in summer camp (preferred), or equivalent experience.
- Submit a Police Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening by contract start date
- Obtain Standard First Aid & CPR C Certification by June 27th, 2023
Key Dates for 2023
- Resource Team Spring Work begins: May 1st
- May Staff Training Weekend: May 19th – 22nd
- Staff Training Week: June 28th to July 2nd
- Day Camp sessions begin: Tuesday July 4th
- 8 weeks of Day Camp sessions through July and August
- Camp sessions end: Friday August 25th
- Staff clean-up, debrief, and celebration: Saturday August 26th
- Resource Team debrief day: Sunday August 27th
To be considered for the above role please submit an application in one of two ways:
- Complete an online application at canterburyhills.campbrainstaff.com
- Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Your cover letter should address the following questions:
- What calls you to be a part of the Canterbury Hills staff community this summer?
- What makes you an excellent teammate?
- What strategies do you use to promote inclusion at your workplace?
- How have your personal faith experiences prepared you to be a resource for staff and campers in spiritual development and faith formation throughout the summer?
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis with interviews beginning January 7th
Canterbury Hills Camp is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to promoting equity, inclusion and diversity within our workplace and greater community. We work to develop a barrier-free selection process and inclusive work environment that is increasingly representative of the communities we live and work in, and where all team members are able to express ideas, opinions and experiences.
We welcome applications from all qualified individuals with an interest in advancing our mission, vision and values, and assisting us in deepening our commitment to Anti-racism/Anti-oppression. We especially encourage applications from members of historically disadvantaged and under-represented groups, including those who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Colour, persons with disabilities, newcomers to Canada, and/or LGBTQ2S+. If contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodation measures required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received will be addressed in confidence.