Leadership Development 2 Counsellor
YMCA Camp Elphinstone
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $123 – $125/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 15th to September 3rd, 2022
Reports To: Assistant Summer Camp Directors, Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Leadership Development 2 (LD2) Counsellor.
These staff members are responsible for delivering and facilitating the LD2 program for 16-17 year-old campers. They work cooperatively with other members of the staff team to develop and deliver their program, which builds leadership abilities, group development among participants and instruction skills based on technical skills learned in LD1.
The LD2 program has an emphasis on group leading skills, exploring different styles of leadership, interpersonal skills, and camper care. Opportunities are also provided for campers to develop their own leadership styles. Previous camp experience is essential for these staff members, as is a high level of core camp skills, teaching, and group work.
- · Live in cabins with a co-counsellor and up to 10 campers. Accompany cabin to all programs throughout the day. Provide 24-hour supervision to these campers.
- · Plan and deliver experiential and educational leadership programming. Facilitate Camp Elphinstone’s core programs such as high ropes, canoeing, kayaking, archery etc. and be able to adapt programming to suit the LD2 outcomes.
- · Manage group dynamics and behaviour of the cabin group to ensure the emotional and physical safety of all campers. Ensure that all campers feel supported, safe, and all of their needs (physical, emotional, social, medical, and nutritional) are being met.
- · Lead multi-day canoe, backpacking, and/or sea kayaking trips with co-counsellor and 10 campers.
- · Seek help from a supervisor when it is appropriate or necessary.
- · Age 19+ by July 1, 2022
- · Wilderness First Responder (80 hr)
- · NLS
- · FOODSAFE Level 1
- · 3+ years of experience working with youth
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- · 3 Successful Reference Checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · Paddle Canada certification (or equivalent)
- · ACCT Level
- · Mental Health First Aid
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: November 28, 2021. Applications received after this deadline will be considered for subsequent rounds of hiring if positions are still vacant.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.