Leadership Development 1 Counsellor
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $126.45-$128.45/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 14th to August 25th, 2023
Reports To: LD/OT Director, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Leadership Development 1 (LD1) Counsellor.
These staff members are responsible for delivering and facilitating the LD1 program for 15-16 year-old campers. They work cooperatively with other members of the staff team to develop and deliver their program, which builds camp skills, leadership abilities and group development among participants.
The LD1 program has an emphasis on the more technical skills associated with camp life. It provides opportunities for young people to develop their own leadership skills through hands on instruction in camp programs. LD1 Counsellors will have the appropriate skill set to lead 1 to 2 offsite paddling or backpacking out-trips per LD1 session. Previous camp experience is essential, as is a high level of core camp skills and group facilitation.
· Live in cabins with a co-counsellor and up to 10 campers. Accompany cabin to all programs throughout the day. Provide 24 hour supervision to these campers.
· Plan and deliver experiential and educational leadership programming. Facilitate Camp Elphinstone’s core programs such as high ropes, canoeing, kayaking, archery etc. and be able to adapt programming to suit the LD1 outcomes.
· Manage group dynamics and behaviour of the cabin group to ensure the emotional and physical safety of all campers. Ensure that all campers feel supported, safe, and all of their needs (physical, emotional, social, medical, and nutritional) are being met.
· Lead multi-day canoe, backpacking, and/or sea kayaking trips with co-counsellor and 10 campers.
· Seek help from a supervisor when it is appropriate or necessary.
· Age 19+ by July 1, 2023
· Wilderness Advanced First Aid (40 hrs)
· FOODSAFE Level 1
· 2+ years of experience working with youth
· Experience leading multi-day wilderness trips
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 Successful Reference Checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Wilderness First Responder (80 hrs)
· Paddle Canada certification (or equivalent)
· ACCT Level 1
· Mental Health First Aid