Leadership Counsellor with Canoe Trip
Located Northwest of the city or Owen Sound, Camp Presqu’ile covers 14 acres of beautiful Georgian Bay shoreline. In partnership with the Owen Sound Rotary Club, the YMCA of Owen Sound has provided overnight summer camp to youth aged 6-16 for the past 90 years. With high quality programming, dedicated staff and a welcoming community Camp Presqu’ile has something for everyone!
Nature and Scope:
Summer Camp Staff should be creative, enthusiastic, have an interest in working with children and possess strong leadership skills. Camp staff will work in a variety of jobs as part of the Camp Presqu’ile community throughout the summer months with the common goal of providing a summer to remember for campers and leadership participants.
Leadership trainers will work with our 15 and 16 year old leadership campers over 2 and 4 week sessions. Trainers will need to focus on delivering high quality leadership programming designed to build our participants skills sets. You will be delivering leadership programming targeting interpersonal skills, teaching, mentorship, problem solving and facilitating a canoe trip. Our 15 year old participants will have minimal involvement in the planning and implementation of the canoe trip but our 16 year olds campers will be a part of the planning and execution of the canoe trip. Leadership trainers should have experience with canoe tripping but no additional qualifications are required.
All camp staff will have the same shared goal of providing a positive and enriching experience to camper and leadership participants. Staff will be expected to engage in the Presqu’ile community through participation in program development and delivery, positive role modelling and demonstrating appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission.
For more detailed descriptions of the position please review our Hiring Package
- All staff must possess Standard First Aid and CPR-C as well as NLS Waterfront for most positions. Other certifications may be required based on position.
- Experience working with children or an interest in beginning their work with children. (Level of experience needed varies based on position)
- Minimum age of 18 years old by June 30th,2022
- Ability to work entire summer contract
- Ability to work effectively with others and independently to achieve optimal collective results
- Well- developed interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and participants
- Must be able to provide, prior to start date, a vaccination certificate issued by the government of the province of Ontario proving full vaccination against COVID-19 or alternatively a valid medical or religious exemption from vaccination.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable criminal reference check (VCRC) is a job requirement.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your cover letter, résumé, and completed YMCA Employment/Volunteer Application Form
Please address applications to Scotia Hutton, Summer Camp Director and submit them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org