Leadership Camp Instructor
Evans Lake Forest Education Center
LEADERSHIP CAMP INSTRUCTOR
Love team-builders, deep & meaningful conversations, and hands-on outdoor and nature experiences? Are you passionate about nurturing self-awareness and an understanding of how we connect with forests? How about supporting the leaders of tomorrow and facilitating leadership discoveries in old forest groves? Leadership Camp Instructors have the privilege of working with eager Leaders-In-Training (LITs) to transform their outlook and leadership skills. When you think of personal growth, challenging yourself, and stepping outside of your comfort zone with support, think of the LIT program with the LIT Instructor leading the way. Four of the eight Summer Camp sessions have a side-by-side LIT program for 14 to 16-year-old campers looking to explore their abilities as facilitators, communicators, and leaders. The LIT program is a mix of sessions led by the LIT Instructor for the LITs, LITs shadowing staff members as they lead activities, and preparing for the Aroo Games (our end-of-week extravaganza the LITs help facilitate). Given that all staff stay onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while camp is in session, the action never stops and applicants should enjoy working in a dynamic work environment. Very strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a must, as well as a yearning for an endless summer!
- Cultivate a safe environment for LITs to test different leadership styles and reflect on their experiences
- Provide feedback to LIT participants throughout the week
- Demonstrate positive & engaging leadership for campers aged 8-16, fellow staff members, & volunteersTerm
- The LIT session dates are: July 10th -15th, July 24th – 29th, July 31st – August 5th, and August 21st – 26th.
- Outside of LIT weeks, the LIT Instructor may choose to take on other roles on our team such as Instructor (spring,summer, and/or fall) or OAK InstructorSafety
- Comply with Evans Lake’s policies & procedures
- Take ownership for the safety of campers and fellow staff membersReporting and Evaluation
- LIT Instructors report to the Program Manager and receive mentoring & coaching from senior staff
- A goal-setting & evaluation process will be initiated by the Program Manager
- Continuous feedback and communication amongst staff members is encouragedRequired Certifications & Experience
- First Aid Certificate (at minimum an 8-hour basic certificate that includes CPR)
- Additional certifications & licenses are considered to be assets, including Class 4 & 5 driver’s licenses,certifications in lifeguarding, advanced first aid, paddling, rock-climbing, and outdoor recreation & leadership
- Educational backgrounds with special relevance include outdoor recreation and educationAdditional Information:
- Compensation begins at $134/day, with an increase of up to $7/day, according to experience and certifications. Free room and board are also provided when programs are in session.
- ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests
- We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located near Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation)
- To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB*If follow-up with your application is required, for privacy & confidentiality reasons, we can only discuss an application with the applicant (i.e. no agents, representatives or family members).