Kitchen Staff – Prep Cook
Camp Kawartha has operated as a summer camp since 1921. We have established an excellent reputation as a facility that provides a safe and supportive environment for children and teens aged 4 to 17. To maintain our reputation, we are seeking staff members who are willing to work together as a team to achieve the high level of excellence expected by our campers and their families.
Anyone interested in applying as a part of our kitchen team for Camp Kawartha must
- A desire to work in a kitchen, some related experience and a positive work ethic
- Enjoy working in an environment with children
- Enjoy working as part of a team and have respect for those around them
- Strive toward a high quality of customer service
- Be able to commute to the camp (located 20-30 minutes from Peterborough)
Prep cooks would work with the support of our Kitchen Services Manager and support members of our cooking team delivering nutritious and well balanced meals for up to 180 staff and campers 3 times a day. This position requires someone who strives for quality and excellence, is patient, a problem solver, creative and has a good sense of humour.
Contract: June 21 to Aug 28. Potential for employment prior & following the summer on a part-time basis.
Compensation: Between $15-16/hour, based on a 40 hours/week work schedule
- Assists in preparing nutritious and well balanced meals and snacks throughout the day.
- Supports the implementation of food practices relevant to the dietary restrictions and allergies within the camp population. Ensures the kitchen operates under a nut safe environment.
- Assist in preparation, coordination, and cleaning to ensure kitchen runs smoothly.
- Supports washing of kitchen pots and pans and maintenance of dish pits
- Supports all safety procedures in kitchen.
- Under the guidance of the Food Services Manager and Team Leaders, follows a menu plan for campers and groups. The menu follows Canada Food Guide and OCA standards.
- Has an environmental outlook on food.
- Under the guidance of the Food Services Manager and Team Leaders, ensures that food supplies have been stored properly and maintains inventory.
- Under the guidance of the Food Services Manager and Team Leaders, ensures the kitchen operates under the highest standard of cleanliness in food preparation and service.
- Some knowledge of food allergies and the dangerous implications of not following safe food handling practices in preparing them.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of preparing healthy, local and sustainable food for children and adults.
- Willing to adhere to and champion our food services philosophy.
- Exhibits initiative and self-direction, solid organizational skills and well developed interpersonal skills.
- Is positive, courteous and helpful to all parents, campers, participants, and staff. Encourages a cheerful and supportive environment among all kitchen staff.
- Police Record Check
- Safe Food Handling Certificate, WHMIS, Standard First Aid & CPR
- Applicants need to have their own accommodations and transportation. On-site living is not provided.
- Please be aware that Camp Kawartha is a smoke, vape, alcohol and drug free facility.
Camp Kawartha is an equal opportunity employer that strives for inclusion and diversity.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org