Kitchen Staff – Camp Shomria – June 27 – August 5, 2022
June 27 – August 5, 2022
The Kitchen Staff keeps our whole camp community fueled so they can have the best summer ever! As a member of the Kitchen Staff you will be part of a team preparing healthy and kid-friendly food for a warm and welcoming camp community with a great mission. Core duties include meal preparation, maintaining a clean kitchen, organizing food deliveries, and washing dishes. This role is a seasonal summer full-time position which requires you to live on site at our camp facility in Perth, Ontario. Kitchen staff work six days per week, with regular and flexible breaks, and one full day off per week. This position reports to the Kitchen Manager.
Specific Responsibilities of the Kitchen Staff include, but are not limited to:
- Attend at least two pre-camp phone calls/meetings with Camp and Kitchen Leadership to discuss responsibilities at camp
- Familiarize yourself with the Camp Shomria Kitchen Manual and discuss any concerns or recommendations with the Camp Director or Kitchen Manager
- Complete food handler certification prior to camp
- Provide and cook healthy food for ~130 campers and staff as part of the Kitchen Staff Team under the leadership of the Kitchen Manager. This includes:
○ Maintain highest standards of kitchen and dining hall sanitation and safety
○ Setting up stocking stations with all necessary supplies
○ Preparing food for service (eg. chopping vegetables, butchering meat, or preparing sauces, etc.)
○ Cooking menu items in cooperation with the rest of the Kitchen Staff in time for scheduled mealtimes
○ Clean up stations and take care of leftover food
○ Appropriately manage inventory to minimize waste
○ Maintain inventory of freezers, coolers, and dry storage
○ Assist with intake of all food deliveries
○ Work shifts as scheduled by the Kitchen Manager
○ Uphold and promote the values and food goals established by the Head Chef
- Fulfilling responsibilities within the context and culture of a youth-led camp environment
- Additional responsibilities as required
- Food Handler’s Certification
- Prior kitchen experience is strongly preferred but not required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting
- Ability, both visual and auditory, to identify and respond to safety and environmental hazards and inform campers, staff, and guests
- Physical strength to lift equipment and supplies (50lbs)
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time
- Willing to live in a rustic camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities
- Ability to accept guidance, constructive feedback, and support from teammates, including youth staff
- Must provide clear vulnerable sector police background check
- Must be vaccinated against COVID-19 (two doses required, booster strongly encouraged)
- Must be able to live on site at Camp Shomria for the duration of the contract (June 27 -July 31st)
Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Candidates who are eligible for accommodations will be provided them upon request during the hiring process. References may be requested following the interview process.
Camp Shomria is committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
About Hashomer Hatzair Camp Shomria:
Hashomer Hatzair is a worldwide youth movement active in over 20 countries globally. Hashomer Hatzair has been at the forefront of youth-led experiential Jewish education and community building for over 100 years. Our focus is on equipping our youth with a strong Jewish cultural identity, a deep relationship and engagement with Israel that inspires them to build achvat amim (solidarity of nations), towards a just and lasting peace, and a strong community oriented toward social justice. Located on Otty Lake, in Perth, Ontario, Camp Shomria is the Hashomer Hatzair immersive summer home away from home, where lifelong friendships are made. Days are spent swimming, canoeing, playing sports and games, doing arts and crafts, tending our gardens, making music and drama, and so much more.