The Kitchen Coordinators assist the Food Service Manager with food service operations for all Cairn programs, including food purchasing, storage, preparation, and service. They are responsible for ensuring that proper health standards are maintained and that all food is healthy, plentiful, and delicious. They assist in providing support and direction to Prep Cooks and ensure that camp offers a safe inclusive environment that encourages self-esteem, stewardship, and servanthood as a kitchen staff team.
- All-Staff Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the Cairn Family of Camps.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the campers, staff, families, and all program participants of the Cairn Family of Camps.
- Practice and support the health and safety of all campers, staff, families, and all program participants of the Cairn Family of Camps.
- Complete a year-end report, including a season review, and offering suggestions for future camp seasons.
- Complete additional duties as required.
- Food Service Responsibilities:
- Prepare healthy, delicious meals and snacks that meet the needs of all staff and participants, including specialized menus for individuals with dietary needs.
- Endeavor to minimize food waste through careful planning.
- Assist the Food Service Manager in providing training, direction, and assistance to Prep Cooks.
- Assume the responsibilities of the Food Service Manager when they are not present, including taking the lead in food preparation, time management, and task assignment.
- Assist the Food Service Manager in overseeing and performing daily, weekly, and seasonal cleaning of the kitchen and all kitchen equipment.
- Ensure that all regulations outlined by governing bodies (Simcoe-Muskoka District Health Unit, Ontario Government, Ontario Camps Association) are met or exceeded.
- Work with the Food Service Manager and Directing Team to establish best practices that ensure that industry standards are maintained, and all risks associated with food preparation and storage are minimized.
- Work with the Food Service Manager and Program Coordinators to incorporate food service into program themes and events.
- Work with the Food Service Manager and Iona Program Coordinator in preparing food and supplies for out-trips.
- Act as a resource for Prep Cooks, Program Coordinators and Counsellors regarding kitchen equipment and food service, providing support, direction, and assistance as required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous experience as a camp staff member with experience in the kitchen, or equivalent experience in food preparation, service and/or management.
- Personal skills: service-oriented leadership, organization, efficiency, problem-solving ability, adaptability, collaboration, delegation
- Standard First Aid/CPR-C
- Food Handler Certificate
- G-class driver’s license recommended
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Mandated training (including AODA, Workplace Violence & Harassment, Health & Safety Awareness, Child Protection, etc.) is required before or shortly after commencement of work
Due to the constantly evolving nature of policies, procedures, and recommendations surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the Cairn Family of Camps recognizes that elements of the summer 2022 schedule and programs, and – consequently – job responsibilities may be required to adapt. Until staff are hired, any updates to this document will be available on the Cairn website at https://ilovecamp.org. Once staff are hired, communication will take place directly via phone or email.
Please submit your application, including any supplementary documents, at http://cairn.campbrainstaff.com. Should you have any questions, please contact Robynne Howard, Camp Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Cairn Family of Camps supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. The Cairn Family of Camps is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the camp office.