Kitchen Assistant (Dishwasher)
Date Posted: June 29, 2021
Position Title: Kitchen Assistant (Dishwasher)
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone: Gibsons, BC
Terms: Seasonal Contract, Full-time (must be flexible with shifts)
Hiring Range: $16.00 per hour
Start Date: September 1, 2021
End Date: October 20, 2021
Reports To: Head Chef/Food Services Supervisor
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located on the Sunshine Coast, a 40 minute ferry trip from Vancouver. The Sunshine Coast is a vibrant community committed to natural environments, sustainability and the arts. Potential to live on site if necessary.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Recreation and Retreat Centre for schools, businesses, clubs, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 400 people and has programs and equipment for swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature and Scope:
The Kitchen Assistant is responsible for washing dishes, maintaining the cleanliness of the dish room and dining hall, and assisting with general food preparation.
This position is contingent on programs being operational based on public health guidelines and other factors.
- Washes dishes, pots and pans, and all plates, cups and cutlery following meals.
- Maintaining an organized and clean dish room
- Put garbage and material for recycling in proper bin
- Maintaining an organized and clean buffet and coffee area in dining hall
- Making sure weekly and daily cleaning checklists are completed
- Assist with general food preparation in the kitchen
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to stand for a long period of time and lift up to 50 pounds
- Role modeling appropriate behaviour
- Understanding that each staff members’ role in the camp community is to serve our clients, summer campers and groups
- Understanding that the greater good of our client’s experience must be at the forefront in every decision made
- Teach and role model the core values of the YMCA
- Read, understand, teach and enforce the policies of the YMCA and YMCA Camps
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- Food Safe Level 1
- WHMIS Certification is an asset
- 3 Successful References
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, and an orientation to service, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA
Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the YMCA
Philanthropy: Demonstrates a personal responsibility for the YMCA as a charity
Leadership: Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes
Outcome Thinking: Visualizes, understands and articulates YMCA outcomes and formulates strategies, plans and
actions for achievement
Quality Focus: Ensures YMCA programs and services are superior
Teamwork: Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness
Application deadline: Ongoing
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted