Job Title: Kitchen Assistant (2 positions)
Location: Elmwood, Ontario – Between Hanover and Durham, Ontario
Dates of Employment: July 3rd, 2022 – August 28th, 2022
Salary: $1,800 – $2,800 plus Room and Board
Since 1971, Camp McGovern has been faithful to the original vision of providing underprivileged children and youth with the opportunity to go to overnight camp. At Camp McGovern we serve approximately 75 kids a week – all of whom are referred through Children’s Aid, United Way Agencies or Big Brothers Big Sisters. We are situated on 120 acres located along the beautiful Saugeen River, near Hanover, Ontario.
Our team of staff and volunteers put on an array of activities throughout the week including: Arts & Crafts, Nature Programs, River Rides, High/Low Ropes, Archery, Swimming, Canoeing, Campfires, Games and more. Camp McGovern is a welcoming, safe environment where Campers and Staff come from all walks of life and experiences. We value friendships, we foster leadership and we hold a shared passion for having FUN.
If you want to make an impactful difference while utilizing your experiences, education, leadership and skills, then this may be the perfect fit for you!
Camp McGovern is a registered charity seeking a Kitchen Assistant for our summer camp operations. We are looking for enthusiastic candidates who have a big heart, a positive attitude and a desire to be a leader in the camp community.
The Kitchen Assistant is in charge of assisting with all food preparation at Camp McGovern, as well as keeping the kitchen clean before, during and after meal preparation times. This person must be able to work quickly and efficiently, while keeping an eye on food safety. The Kitchen Assistant works with other members of Camp McGovern’s Food Service team, under the direction of the Head Cook.
- Assist in all kitchen tasks as instructed by the Head Cook.
- Prepare before each meal by understanding the kitchen routines, and ensure that essential preparations are completed ahead of time.
- Assist the Head Cook and Assistant in preparing food as instructed.
- Adhere to and promote health & safety regulations for food preparation, storage, hygiene and sanitation.
- Maintain organization of the kitchen’s cooking supplies.
- Perform laundering duties to ensure that kitchen laundry is cleaned regularly.
- Properly dispose of garbage and recyclable materials. Notify the Head Cook when dumpsters are full.
- Monitor inventory of kitchen supplies.
- Ensure food is stored in a safe and organized manner.
- Prepare the dining hall prior to meals and sanitize surfaces frequently to comply with COVID-19 health and safety practices.
- Participate in camp special events, program supervision, and other camp duties as required.
- At least 17 years of age
- A satisfactory Police Records Check – including the Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within 3 months of employment)
- Safe Food Handling Certification (will provide)
- Previous camp experience is an asset.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this competition please complete an application HERE
Camp McGovern is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and provides accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. Should you require an accommodation please advise the HR Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. All accommodations will be handled confidentially.