Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $20/hour
Terms: Various contracts available:
- July – September 2022
- July – November 2022
(Fulltime, 5 shifts a week, must be flexible)
Reports To: Head Chef/Food Services Supervisor
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
The Kitchen Assistant is responsible for washing dishes, maintaining the cleanliness of the dish room and dining hall, and assisting with general food preparation and serving for at least two meals a day for 40-450 children and adults.
- · Washes dishes, pots and pans, and all plates, cups, and cutlery following meals
- · Maintaining an organized, clean dish room
- · Proper garbage and recycling removal
- · Maintaining organized, clean buffet and coffee areas
- · Assist with general food preparation
- · Assist with serving of meals
- · Making sure weekly and daily cleaning checklists are completed
- · Ensure FoodSafe standards are followed at all times
- · Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C an asset
- · Food Safe level 1 an asset
- · WHIMIS Certification an asset
- · Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment
- · Ability to stand for a long period of time and lift up to 50 pounds
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Please submit your resume here.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.