The Kitchen Assistant is responsible for assisting in the preparation of camp meals, and ensuring the cleanliness of the dishes, kitchen and dining hall.
This staff member will provide high quality summer camp experience by assisting in the kitchen and ensuring the cleanliness of the facility.
The Kitchen Assistant lives in a private room with a shared washroom in our main lodge above the kitchen.
Hidden Bay Leadership Camp is an outdoor, overnight summer camp located near Parry Sound and serves 65 day and overnight campers each week from across Ontario. The camp, located on Lake Shebeshekong in Carling Township, is a traditional overnight summer camp with leadership training programs for campers age 4-16.
- Ensure the proper and sanitary operations of the kitchen and dining hall. Which includes, but is not limited to: washing dishes, washing pots, cleaning bathrooms, doing laundry, sweeping and mopping, table moving and
- Assist in the preparation and service of meals under the guidance of the Camp Cook.
- Assist in stock management and preparation and receiving of food orders.
- Assist in meeting the dietary needs of campers with identified allergies or food restrictions.
- Supervise Camp Staff, CITs and Work Experience Participants in daily dining hall chores, including: table setting, dishes, filling condiments, sweeping and table set up.
- Ensure that the site, including cabins, program areas & washrooms, are kept clean, organized and free of litter.
- Communicate with Camp Cook and Camp Director about concerns
- Attend weekly staff meetings and in-service staff trainings.
- Assist in maintaining accurate kitchen records including incident/accident reports, camp documentation, cleaning schedules, menus, meal numbers and allergies.
- Required to know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Required to know, follow and enforce all safety expectations and guidelines associated with the camp and program areas. This includes, but not limited to, being responsible for campers’ safety in the dining hall.
- Must be at least 17 years of age by December 31 of the camp year.
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- Must be willing to submit a Vulnerable Sector Check, obtained no sooner than 3 months prior to start of position.
- At least one year of experience working or volunteering at an overnight camp, preferred.
- Education classes or experience culinary or cooking experience, or in a related field.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Perform essential program support to kitchen activities and camp programs which may include, but not limited to the following activities: semi–reaching to full-reach overhead, crouching, kneeling, shoveling, working in narrow and/or confining spaces underground, overhead, and at ground level, twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs, and lying on stomach and/or back.
- Requires working in excess of 40 hours per week.
Hidden Bay Leadership Camp is a division York Professional Care & Education and offers a competitive salary, food, accommodations, and transportation from Aurora or Barrie to camp, and a collegial work environment dedicated to the professional development of all staff.
We invite all qualified candidates to complete our online application at : https://hiddenbay.campbrainstaff.com
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for your interest; however only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
No telephone inquiries or agencies please. York Professional Care & Education is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Please contact our office for assistance if required.
Contract length: 10 weeks
Expected start date: 2023-06-21
Salary: From $1,000.00 per month