Instructor Recruitment and Engagement Specialist
Outward Bound Canada
Position: Instructor Recruitment and Engagement Specialist
Immediate Supervisor: Head of Operations and People
Start date: November 2021 (6 months Fixed-Term Contract, with potential to be extended)
Outward Bound Canada is committed to helping Canadian youth change the trajectory of their lives. With young people desiring to thrive in an unpredictable and changing world, OBC, a registered charity, offers social-emotional education through experiential adventures in the outdoors. Since 1969, OBC has inspired over 150,000 participants, with a particular emphasis on providing greater access to those facing socioeconomic barriers, to discover their potential. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Instructor Recruitment and Engagement Specialist will be the person behind OBC’s strategy to recruit future Instructors. This role is for someone who has the experience and loves the fieldwork, has administrative aptitudes, and is excited to engage with outdoor leaders and changemakers across Canada. The IRES will execute and help set our strategy to find, select, and bring together the most promising outdoor leaders of the next generation – individuals who will inspire personal growth and represent OBC’s values.
The role requires creativity, attention to detail, and an analytical lens. We are looking for someone who combines innovations and experience with a get-it-done attitude. You will oversee the recruitment process and ensure we achieve our recruitment goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively engage prospective Instructors, creating opportunities to get to know and trust OBC.
- Help shape and execute a national strategy to find and attract mission-aligned Instructors in all regions.
- Develop recruitment plans, employing traditional sourcing strategies and resources as well as developing new, creative recruitment ideas.
- Be proactive about business needs taking business trends into account.
- Work with hiring managers to ensure engagement with the best possible instructors by developing and executing recruiting plans, networking through industry contacts, association memberships, outdoor industry groups, and coordinating/implementing college recruiting initiatives.
- Build relationships with networks, partner organizations, and other potential sources of potential Instructors (i.e. Outdoor University Programs).
- Plan and execute high-quality events, online and in-person (if possible); represent OBC’s programs and mission and vision for the world to build awareness and attract applicants. (Examples: Panels, Instagram Lives, Presentations).
- Develop a pool of qualified candidates in advance of need.
- Conduct regular follow-up with managers to determine the effectiveness of recruiting plans and implementation.
- Accept, review and pre-screen applications, certifications, and experience prior to the interview process.
- Administrative duties, respond to applicants, and maintain an extensive, up-to-date database of candidates available as needs arise.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- 2+ years experience in an external-facing, people and goal-oriented roles.
- 2+ years of experience running OBC courses preferred.
- Background or experience in human resources, recruitment, and engagement is an asset.
- Able to clearly and persuasively communicate both verbally and in writing with staff at all levels.
- Personal commitment to diversity with a vision of what that means for Instructor recruitment at an organization like OBC.
- Knowledge of suitable method/medium to tell any story to have the most impact.
- Position requires a police background check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
$50,000-$53,000 starting salary depending on competence level and a comprehensive benefits package.
READY TO APPLY?
Please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Application deadline: November 19, 2021
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience beyond the technical requirements of a job, if your experience is close to what you see listed, please consider applying. Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. We encourage applications from all individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, racialized people, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and all other equity-deserving groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage during the hiring process.