How many of these are true about you?
- A teacher or instructor
- A camp counsellor or leader
- A recent grad from science, tech, math, engineering, or the arts
- A maker or tech lover
- An actor, performer, and life of the party
- Looking for work in a growing field and company
- Interested in new, socially-responsible ways of doing business
- A cool person that kids, parents, and coworkers are gonna love to be around
If most or all of that sounds like you, we want you to come and join us at MakerKids – a fun and growing company where you can ignite children’s potential.
MakerKids develops maker learning programs for kids, and runs camps and after-school programs on Coding, Robotics and Minecraft. We inspire kids to see their futures as inventors, entrepreneurs, and innovators. We provide amazing interest-driven STEM programs to help kids move from being consumers to creators. We’ve been featured in major media such as Wired, CTV and the Globe and Mail, and have spoken at SXSW, Maker Faire, MakerCon, and more.
Maker programs are gaining steam. Demand for our programs is growing fast and that means we need to find and train awesome instructors to serve an enthusiastic and growing fan base. Your job will be to lead MakerKids programming – after school programs, camps, sampler sessions, private classes, etc. Program content includes Robotics, Coding and Minecraft. Other role tasks are varied: developing new activities, curriculum development, coordination, taking sales calls, etc.
You’ll love this role if you:
- Want to have a positive impact on kids
- Want to share your love for technology and making
- Dig a relaxed, casual, and fun work group (warning: musical theatre nerds and Dungeons & Dragons players among us)
- Did we mention having fun while working? We like doing stuff together online or in-person – coffees, improv classes, escape rooms, and other staff socials
- And we also take our work seriously, create space for each other’s opinions and perspectives, and pursuing success together
Learning the Role
You don’t have to have the full range of technical skills that kids will need for their projects. Other MakerKids staff will initially be present during classes to teach specific skills. You can learn along with the kids! What we want to see from you is the Maker spirit – a love of learning and proven ability to pick up skills. Prior to teaching classes, you’ll teach alongside other staff as a MakerKids Instructor in Training. After that, you will lead classes and events as a MakerKids Instructor.
This position will start part-time with 3 to 30 hours per week (depending on your availability and our need). Full time hours may be available in the summer during camps. Work hours are flexible, but availability must include class times – at least one weeknight from 3:30 to 6:30 or 7:00 to 9:00, or one weekend day or half-day. Ideally you are also available for camps and PA days (summer camps, winter camp, March Break camp, etc.). You’ll also be required at some weekend events.
Working with MakerKids
Our bright, colourful, playful Makerspace office is located at 2451 Bloor St. West in Toronto.
This is a part-time, permanent position with hours that may take place during afternoons, weeknights, and weekends. Generally, hours will take place during the windows of 3:45-8:30PM or 12:30pm-8:30pm on weekdays, and/or Saturday/Sunday from between 9:30am-5:30pm during the school year.
During the summers, hours may be similar to those during the school year – and/or may take place on weekdays between 7:30-3:30 or 8:30 to 4:30.
With us, you’ll enjoy:
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Fun social events with the team like board games, karaoke, escape rooms, improv classes, and other activities
- You’re a creative and energetic person who likes working with kids and exploring new ideas
- You have experience leading kids in an experiential learning setting such as school, summer camp, museum interpretation, outdoor adventure, Montessori
- Preferred if you are a teacher, an Early Childhood Educator, have teaching or camp experience
- You have excellent communication skills, written and oral, and experience communicating with children and their families
- You’re a Maker, with interest and experience designing and creating things, e.g. coding, electronics, robotics, Minecraft, crafting or some other way you entertain yourself and others with your creativity
- You’re comfortable using electronics, computer software, hardware and various other technologies – or very willing to learn and teach yourself
- Ideally, you have some performance experience, e.g. in the theatre
- And also ideal, some customer service and sales experience too
Apply at: https://makerkids.breezy.hr/p/8d1d920bb1e0-instructor