Are you inspired by towering trees, early-morning paddles, discovering networks of underground fungi, and sparking the next generation’s curiosity in the outdoors? Instructors teach outdoor skills and Eco Fun courses, lead hikes to nearby lakes, orchestrate campfires, and so much more – all in the same day! Love theme lunches, high fives, and hands-on outdoor experiences? Given that all staff stays onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while programs are in session, the action never stops and applicants should enjoy working in a dynamic work environment. Very strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a must, as well as a yearning for an endless summer!
- Deliver outdoor and environmental education courses and integrate forest themes into all camp programming
- Lead hikes and outtrips (must be able to hike up to 15kms carrying a pack of up to 50lbs)
- Demonstrate positive leadership/mentorship for students and campers aged 8-16, other staff, & visitors
- Accept the responsibilities associated with being either an Evans Lake first aid attendant or lifeguard
- Summer Camp instructors support and mentor cabin leaders and volunteers and may coordinate 1 of 5 areas (First Aid, Eco Fun, Waterfront, Climbing & Low Ropes, & Outtrips)
- Other duties as assigned (e.g. driving campers, staff, and/or supplies; cleaning program areas) Term
- Summer Camp season: July 3rd through August 26th, 2022
- Instructor training weekend: June 18th and 19th 2022. Pre-camp training: June 25th to 29th, 2022
- Rental Groups (e.g. visiting school groups) Instructor: April, May, & June; September & October
- Exact start/end dates may be negotiated. Applicants do not need to be available for all seasons, but preferencemay be given to candidates who can begin in late March and continue through to the end of October
• Comply with Evans Lake’s policies & procedures and take ownership for the safety of clients and staff members Reporting and Evaluation
• Instructors report to the Program Manager and receive mentoring & coaching from senior staff
• A goal-setting & evaluation process will be initiated by the Program Manager or a Senior Instructor • Continuous feedback and communication amongst staff members is encouraged
Required Certifications & Experience
- First Aid Certificate (at minimum an 8-hour basic certificate that includes CPR)
- NL lifeguard certificate (or international equivalent), and/or 35+hour First Aid certificate (e.g. OFA level II)
- Preference may be given to candidates who have at least a Class 5 driver’s license
- Additional certifications & licenses are considered to be assets, including a Class 4 driver’s license and certificationsin paddling, rock-climbing, and/or outdoor recreation & leadership
- Educational backgrounds with special relevance include forestry, outdoor recreation, and educationAdditional Information:
- Compensation begins at $134/day, with an increase of up to $7/day, according to experience and certifications. Free room and board are also provided when programs are in session.
- ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests
- We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located near Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation)
- To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB*If follow-up with your application is required, for privacy & confidentiality reasons, we can only discuss an application with the applicant (i.e. no agents, representatives or family members).