Inclusion Counsellor (2 Positions)
YMCA Camp Elphinstone
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $121.65 – $125/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 25th to August 26th, 2022
Reports To: Section Directors, Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Inclusion Counsellor.
Inclusion Counsellors provide one-on-one, 24-hour support to campers with developmental disabilities or campers who need more support. They assist these campers with day-to-day challenges, and ensure supervision is maintained at all times. They also work with the counsellors in that cabin to meet the emotional, physical and safety needs of a group of up to 10 campers.
- Provide one-on-one support and supervision to campers with developmental disabilities or any camper who may need more support.
- · Communicate with parents/guardians prior to the arrival of campers to develop a plan to make sure the camper has a safe, fun, and impactful experience at Camp Elphinstone.
- · Work directly with the Summer Camp Director and Assistant Summer Camp Directors to ensure we are meeting each camper’s individual needs (emotional, physical, social, medical, and nutritional) are being met.
- · Use resources and the help of other staff members to adapt camp programming and all aspects of life at Camp Elphinstone whenever necessary to ensure all campers can be included.
- · Seek help from a supervisor when it is appropriate or necessary.
- Age 18+ by July 1, 2022
- · Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- · Bronze Cross
- · Mental Health First Aid
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
- · 3 Successful Reference Checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · Mental Health First Aid
- · NLS
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: November 28, 2021. Applications received after this deadline will be considered for subsequent rounds of hiring if positions are still vacant.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.