Health Care Assistant
Health Care Assistant
Number of Positions: 6
Reports To: Health Care Director
Compensation: $92/day + meals and accommodation
Location: Camp Woodeden (London, ON) and Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON) each require 3 HCAs
Camp Merrywood: June 3, 2023 – August 20, 2023.
Camp Woodeden: June 3, 2023 – July 31, 2023.
At Easter Seals Ontario, we provide overnight camping opportunities for kids and young adults with physical disabilities. Each summer we welcome staff from all over the world and pride ourselves on providing an awesome pre-camp training, so our staff are equipped with all the skills they need to give our campers a great experience. Our camps make many traditional summer camp activities accessible and inclusive, such as swimming, boating, archery, high ropes, and more! Check out our website to learn more about our locations in Perth, Ontario and London, Ontario.
Reporting to the Health Care Director and/or Camp Nurse, Health Care Assistants are responsible for assisting in the provision of camper and staff health and safety and providing direct care to staff and campers within the scope of their practice. The Health Care Assistants are responsible for assisting with the set-up and maintenance of the Camp Health Centre, including cleaning, checking equipment, disinfecting, and conducting an inventory. Working with the rest of the Health Care Team the Health Care Assistants are responsible for planning and leading sessions on health care and disabilities during staff training. Working with the Easter Seals Ontario Camp Guidelines, Health Care Assistants will conduct camper cabin rounds and administer medications and treatments under the direction of the Camp Nurses.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
• Responsible for health-related pre-camp teaching in conjunction with the other members of the nursing team.
• Responsible for assisting with the set-up of the Camp Health Centre including: cleaning, checking equipment, disinfecting, and conducting an inventory.
• Responsible for assisting in camper & staff health and safety.
• Provide care to campers and staff within their scope of practice and under the supervision of Camp Nurse and/or Health Care Director.
• Conduct camper cabin rounds as scheduled and provide day-to-day treatments as directed by the Camp Nurses.
• Monitor camper mealtimes.
• Ensure proper completion and timely submission of all documentation.
• May accompany campers off-site for hospital or clinic visits.
• Participate in camp programs when not assisting in the health hut.
• Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual and the Nursing Guidelines.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Health Care Director.
Physical Aspects of the Job
• Ability to communicate and work as a member of a team.
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
• Able to manage paddling canoes, lifting, some bending, stooping and stretching as well as daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
• Ability to quickly get to remote locations on camp property over uneven terrain.
• Observe and assess sanitation and safety conditions of the camp.
• Ability to communicate with parents, staff, and administration about camper and staff health concerns.
Nursing students currently enrolled in a nursing program (RN/RPN/LPN) having completed at least their first year of study. Current Standard First Aid or higher and CPR ‘HCP’ is required. Summer camp experience an asset. Those studying to be PSWs may be considered.
• Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
• 24 hours/day on call shared with the rest of the nursing team.
• It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
• Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
• Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
• Onsite housing provided for camping season and meals provided on camp session days.
• Eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
How to Apply: Application forms can be completed through our website at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions. Please include a resume in the upload area.
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.