Camp Misquah is a non-profit organization that offers week-long (overnight) summer camp experiences for individuals with developmental disabilities ages 6-60+. The Camp is located about 90 minutes from Ottawa on the shores of Lac Bitobi near Gracefield, Quebec. Transportation is provided to camp from Ottawa and back for every session.
Camp Misquah is a positive and fun summer camp environment for all, and an extremely rewarding and fulfilling experience for staff! Camp Misquah truly is a place where memories are made. You are welcome to visit our website www.campmisquah.com to explore Misquah’s magic!
There will be a training session in Ottawa on June 25th as well as training on the campsite at the beginning of July. Camp will run from the beginning of July until mid-August. There are 5 sessions of 7 days with 1-2 break days in Ottawa in between each session. Transportation is provided for staff from Ottawa to camp and back for every session.
Work Term + Salary:
Work Term: July 4th – August 19th 2022 + Training June 25th
Salary: $2879.94 + room & board
Description: Camp Misquah is looking for a qualified, experienced and safety oriented Head Lifeguard for our summer camp. The Head Lifeguard is expected to maintain open lines of communication and work in a cooperative manner with other camp staff in fulfilling roles and duties. They will be responsible for overseeing all lifeguards. The Head Lifeguard will be responsible for the safe and effective facilitation and supervision of the waterfront area including all waterfront based programming (boating, swimming and outtrip). They will run all emergency waterfront procedures as they arise. Reports directly to the Camp Director and Assistant Director.
- Must be able to provide a Criminal Record Check
- Standard First Aid + CPR + NLS
- Lifeguarding experience
- Lifesaving instructor/examiner, Standard first aid instructor/examiner, ORCA instructor, swim instructor, boating instructor qualifications are all considered assets
- Will receive basic ASL, CPI & consent training. Will be trained on camp procedures.
- Responsible for the safety, health, and well-being of campers especially when involved in waterfront programming (swim, boating and outtrip) and improving waterfront accessibility for campers
- Adhere to all Covid-19 related policies and procedures
- Assist in the evaluation and supervision of the lifeguards
- Directly supervise the waterfront programming while the waterfront is open
- Perform daily opening and closing safety checks of all equipment and the environment
- Provide maintenance on the beach, clearing the beach of any obstructions, and ensure cleanliness of the beach and beach supplies/equipment
- Respond to waterfront emergencies and facilitate emergency responses effectively, as needed
- Be an active member of the Senior Staff Team and complete “Manager on Duty” jobs on a rotating schedule
- Attend pre-camp training (in-city and on site) and attend daily meetings while at camp
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong work ethic – able to consistently apply Misquah’s core values (respect, inclusiveness, safety and caring) to their day-to-day responsibilities
- Previous experience in a supervisory role (preferably in the camp setting)
- Experience working as a lifeguard in a swimming pool and/or lake setting
- Experience teaching beginner swimming and canoeing is an asset
- Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities or in a summer camp environment is an asset
- Strong communication and teamwork abilities and ability to problem solve effectively
- High energy – candidates should be prepared for physical labor of lifting, moving and lots of walking
- Able to work in an outdoor environment for long periods of time
- Outgoing personality and willing to actively participate in camp