Job Title: Head Cook
Location: Elmwood, Ontario – Between Hanover and Durham, Ontario
Dates of Employment: June 26th, 2022 – August 28th, 2022 (Potential June 19th start)
Salary: $5,400 – $7,200 plus Room and Board
Since 1971, Camp McGovern has been faithful to the original vision of providing underprivileged children and youth with the opportunity to go to overnight camp. At Camp McGovern we serve approximately 75 kids a week – all of whom are referred through Children’s Aid, United Way Agencies or Big Brothers Big Sisters. We are situated on 120 acres located along the beautiful Saugeen River, near Hanover, Ontario.
Our team of staff and volunteers put on an array of activities throughout the week including: Arts & Crafts, Nature Programs, River Rides, High/Low Ropes, Archery, Swimming, Canoeing, Campfires, Games and more. Camp McGovern is a welcoming, safe environment where Campers and Staff come from all walks of life and experiences. We value friendships, we foster leadership and we hold a shared passion for having FUN.
If you want to make an impactful difference while utilizing your experiences, education, leadership and skills, then this may be the perfect fit for you!
Camp McGovern is a registered charity seeking a seasonal Head Cook for our summer camp operations. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has a big heart, a positive attitude and a desire to be a leader in the camp community.
The Head Cook at Camp McGovern is responsible for the camp’s kitchen operations and directing and managing a team of three staff who prepare meals for 75 campers and 35 staff on a weekly basis. The Head Cook designs meal plans that comply with all nutritional requirements and camp regulations while providing three meals and two snacks each day. Although the Head Cook’s schedule can provide for plenty of down time, it’s an important and demanding role that requires someone who’s self-disciplined and capable of juggling multiple tasks.
- Responsible for directing and managing the kitchen staff and preparing food in accordance with established standards of health and safety.
- Plan menus that meet camp requirements (3 meals and 2 snacks/day), including vegan and gluten free options and other dietary restriction accommodations as applicable.
- Deliver on-site instruction in proper food preparation, sanitation, and safe storage procedures to kitchen staff.
- Maintain a clean, sanitized and organized kitchen.
- Must be aware of current industry trends, food quality standards, nutritional guidelines, vendor/supplier relationships and potential acquisitions of new products to enhance kitchen operations at camp.
- Along with knowledge of standard cooking techniques (i.e., poaching, sautéing, grilling and baking), the Head Cook will develop new and exciting dishes with a focus on healthy eating choices.
- Supervise and monitor inventory of kitchen supplies.
- Place weekly food orders while weighing the cost efficiency, advantages, and order fulfillment on bulk ordering and local supplier orders.
- Ensure compliance with local, provincial, and federal regulations as specified by the local Public Health department.
- Prepare the kitchen space for the pre-camp health inspection.
- Maintain accurate records of expenditures and receipts relative to purchases made for the kitchen.
- Communicate with the Camp Director to ensure kitchen operations are running smoothly; address concerns or issues that may arise.
- Ensure food is stored in a safe and organized manner.
- Assist in training all summer staff on kitchen policies and guidelines
- Maintain responsibility for management of the kitchen operating budget.
- Perform daily inspections of kitchen facilities and equipment.
- Ensure compliance with all required safety protocols related to COVID-19.
- Assist in the food coordination for on-site and off-site trips, excursions, overnight campouts and special events.
- At least 19 years of age
- Valid First Aid/CPR
- Valid G Driver’s License
- A satisfactory Police Records Check – including the Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within 3 months of employment)
- Safe Food Handling Certification
- Education or experience in a commercial kitchen (ideally in a leadership role).
- Previous camp experience is an asset.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this competition please complete an application HERE
Camp McGovern is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and provides accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. Should you require an accommodation please advise the HR Committee at email@example.com. All accommodations will be handled confidentially.