Head Canoe/Kayak Instructor
Sparrow Lake Camp
Sparrow Lake Camp
The most fun you can have while making the biggest difference in the lives of kids!
Since 1912, Sparrow Lake Camp has been a not-for-profit traditional overnight summer camp located just north of Orillia on beautiful Sparrow Lake. Sparrow Lake is an inclusive community aimed at providing quality camp experiences for children and youth regardless of religion, gender, culture, ability, or economic status.
Title: Head Canoe/Kayak Instructor
Location: Sparrow Lake, Severn, Ontario – Between Orillia & Gravenhurst, Ontario
Dates of Employment: June 25, 2022 – August 20, 2022
Salary $2,500-$3,500 plus room & board commensurate with experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the start of the camp season
- Current Bronze Cross, equivalent, or above
- Canoe and/or Kayak Instructor certification or teaching experience an asset
- Must submit a Police Reference Check
Purpose: The purpose of the position of Head Canoe/Kayak Instructor is to coordinate and supervise all aspects of the camp’s canoeing and kayaking programs in a manner consistent with the goals and aims of Sparrow Lake Camp.
Position Responsibilities: The Canoe/Kayak Coordinator oversees all facets of the operation of the camp canoe and kayak programs. The health and safety of all staff and campers involved in canoeing and kayaking is a primary concern for the Canoe/Kayak Coordinator.
In accordance with camp policies and procedures, the Canoe/Kayak Coordinator is responsible for:
- Organizing the set-up of the canoe/kayak area, equipment and program certifications.
- Organizing and maintaining the equipment inventory and teaching area.
- Facilitating the training of staff assisting with the canoe/kayak program.
- Organizing the emergency procedures in cooperation with the Watercraft Director and making the safety of the children and staff the #1 priority.
- Supervising all aspects of the camp’s canoe/kayak program including special days and activities.
- Facilitating fun, engaging, experiential programs that meet the needs of all camper age groups.
- Administering the canoe/kayak program budget and making recommended purchases.
- Submitting a program report before summer contract ends.
- Fulfilling all general Resource Staff duties including participating in staff meetings.
- Acting as a “cabin mascot” for camper cabin groups.
- Meets additional staff expectations, as assigned.
Apply online on our Website Today