General Manager & Camp Director
You have that optimism that you can have a career that changes the world.
You want to work with people, make a difference in their lives, and get the breadth of experience you can build a meaningful career on.
You’ll find what you’re looking for here.
We’re MakerKids, developing virtual STEM maker learning programs for kids and educators, and running one of the only makerspaces for kids in the world. We ignite kids’ potential and inspire them to be inventors, entrepreneurs, and innovators.
We’ve been featured in major media such as Wired, CTV and the Globe and Mail, and have spoken at SXSW, Maker Faire, MakerCon, and more. Right now, we’re looking for a new General Manager and Camp Director, and we hope that’s you.
We’re growing quickly, and we’re looking for leaders to grow with us and ultimately drive our mission forward.
General Manager / Camp Director
Your first goal in this position is to run the day-to-day activities of our MakerKids experience. You’ll accomplish this by managing relationships with families, and owning our sign in/out processes. We’ll be very open to any improvements you can make in these.
Once you’ve learned how our days run, you’ll turn your attention to learning and optimizing the operational side of this location.
Practically speaking, you will also:
- Handle sales and registration by conducting phone calls to interested families, discussing our program at events, and collecting contact information for future follow-ups
- Take a proactive, problem-solving approach to improve our current policies, procedures, and program delivery to maximize our impact
- Take ownership of our administrative functions: maintaining records, completing registration paperwork, scheduling staff and programs, and other filing and recordkeeping
- Lead the onboarding, training, and supervision of new staff.
- Steward the materials and tools we use every day
- Manage the makerspace to meet our quality standards
- Create brand awareness and other marketing activities to increase our growth
This is a varied position, and if you have experience as a camp director or leader, that variety will feel familiar. You’ll have our full support to make changes that will make a lasting difference on our business.
You’re the right fit for this role because you have an operational mindset, and are always looking for ways to improve processes, or tackle high-leverage challenges to make things run better.
Working with MakerKids
Our bright, colourful, playful Makerspace office is located at 2451 Bloor St. West, which is easily accessible through public transit.
This is a full-time, permanent position with hours from afternoons, weeknights, and weekends. Generally, you’ll work from Monday-Wednesday from 12:30pm-8:30pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 9:30am-5:30pm during the school year.
During the summers and other camp days, you can expect to work Monday-Wednesday from 8:30 to 4:30, and Sundays from 9:30am-5:30pm.
With us, you’ll enjoy:
- Compensation commensurate with experience, an annual bonus based on targets, and paid vacation time
- Standard First Aid training & CPR C course
- A generous learning budget of up to $1,000
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Fun social events with the team like karaoke, escape rooms, improv classes, and other activities
If you have these, you’ll be a great fit:
- 1+ years of experience in a management position, handling daily operations
- 1+ years of experience in a customer service or customer-facing role
- Experience in sales
- Experience working with children in a camp or educational context
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) for document creation, data entry, and correspondence
- An ability to pass a criminal background check with vulnerable sector screening
Anything on this list would be an asset:
- Bachelor’s degree in any related field
- Valid driver’s license
If this opportunity sounds like the meaningful, career-building challenge you’ve been looking for, we can’t wait to meet you!