Food Services Manager/Head Cook
Northwaters and Langskib are seeking a Food Services Manager/Head Cook to join our team for the 2023 summer season. The ideal candidate is an experienced cook, comfortable living in a communal summer camp environment, and enjoys nature and the outdoors. In collaboration with kitchen assistants, cooks prepare three homemade, nutritionally balanced meals daily for varying numbers, ranging from 10 to 250 (depending on the schedule), which accommodate various dietary requirements. Cooks also manage a budget, inventory, scheduling, and menu planning. Northwaters and Langskib operate two island base camps, each with a dedicated cook. The Head Cook position is specifically for Northwaters and will involve working collaboratively with the Camp Cook at Langskib.
- Plan and prepare three homemade, nutritionally balanced meals daily for varying numbers in camp, ranging from 10 to 250 (depending on the schedule).
- Accommodate a wide range of dietary needs, including but not limited to vegetarian, vegan, and wheat allergies.
- Oversee the work of kitchen assistants.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Work with Program Directors to place weekly food orders and coordinate food and supply deliveries.
- Manage inventory, menu planning, and scheduling.
- Accurately track food usage and costs to help manage a budget.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety regulations and standards.
- Work collaboratively with the Camp Cook at Langskib.
- At least three months of prior experience cooking for camps, schools, or other large groups.
- Prepping and cooking experience (preferably for large numbers).
- A knowledge of specialty diet menus, including but not limited to vegetarian, vegan, and wheat allergies.
- A strong understanding of nutrition.
- Strong organizational and people skills.
- Experience managing a budget, inventory, menu planning, and scheduling.
- Current Food Safety Certification.
- Comfortable living in a communal summer camp environment.
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Room and board included.
- Private but rustic accommodations.
- Experience the opportunity to work amidst a breathtakingly beautiful outdoor environment and become integral to a dynamic, enthusiastic community.
- Career opportunities are available as our cooks typically stay with us for multiple summers, providing potential for long-term employment.
June 20 – August 20, 2023 (with the possibility of a contract extension to September 30).
Northwaters and Langskib are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all aspects of our operations. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and identities to apply.
To learn more about our program: https://northwaters.com/
To apply, please email a letter of intent and your CV outlining your relevant experience to Jen Zahorchak, firstname.lastname@example.org.