Food Services Director
Food Services Director, YMCA Camp Pine Crest
Contract Full Time Salaried (one-year contract with possibility of extension)
Posted date: October 6, 2023
Salary Range: $50,405 – Check out the YMCA’s total compensation package!
Location: YMCA Camp Pine Crest (Torrance, Ontario)
Work Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Employment Type: Regular Full Time Salaried
Number of Vacancies: 1
Anticipated Start Date: November 1, 2023
Deadline to Apply: October 20, 2023
Be the Spark! Join our dynamic Food Services Team, where every day is different, and you will always be engaged with meaningful work!
YMCA Camping and Outdoor Education offers outdoor experiences that foster personal growth and build community. After taking part in our programs, children and youth return home more confident, independent, and with new friendships. YMCA Camp Pine Crest is an overnight camp and year round outdoor education centre, serving children, families, and organizations through naturally focused programs that embody the mission, vision, and outcomes of the YMCA. Camp Pine Crest is made up of 650 acres of Muskoka wilderness surrounded by 3 interconnected lakes with 8km of shoreline; has over 26km of hiking trails and 7,500 sq.ft. of dock; and has 60 buildings.
The Food Services Director assumes responsibility for all aspects of the Food Services program at YMCA Camp Pine Crest. This position oversees the Food Services program staff and inventories along with building and maintaining relationships with suppliers and guests.
In this role, you will:
- Ensure successful and efficient delivery of Food Services program for YMCA Camp Pine Crest, including all meals, snacks, and beverage services. Work with Sales and Reservations Team to ensure Food Services program meets required needs of guests, identify special requirements. Work with Food Services staff team to ensure adherence to quality standards, safe food handling practices, etc. Implement food service equipment maintenance and cleaning schedules
- Build relationships with vendors and negotiate pricing, delivery schedules, product quality, etc. Manage inventory, complete orders with vendors within established schedules. Assist General Manager in developing and managing Food Services program budget. Develop and implement menu plans with input from Sales and Reservations Team
- Recruit, train, and supervise Food Services program staff. Coach and manage the performance of Food Services program staff team. Schedule staff as required for daily requirements of guests
- Maintain positive relations with YMCA Camp Pine Crest team members and guests through regular communication via meetings, email, and phone. Resolve day-to-day operational problems as they occur and use the opportunity to identify improved planning and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
What you need to succeed:
- Commitment to the YMCA’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Focus on the health, safety and wellbeing of all children, youth, and vulnerable people in YMCA programs including understanding legal and moral obligations related to reporting suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services
- YMCA Competencies: Accountable, Relationship-Builder, Improvement-Orientated, Team Player & Leader, Equity and Wellbeing Promoter
- University degree or college diploma in hospitality or culinary skills or equivalent experience
- Food Handlers Certificate, WHIMIS training and Standard First Aid and CPR required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in an institutional kitchen
- Well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members
- Excellent written skills
- Solid knowledge of Word and Excel
- Excellent understanding of diversity, inclusion and equity including the ability to identify and address barriers, work effectively with diverse stakeholders, and integrate equity into program design
How to apply
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
Why work for the YMCA?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. We are committed to helping our employees reach their full potential and are recognized as a great place to work. We offer meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. See what you can expect from the YMCA here.
Joining the Y means contributing to over 165 years of providing opportunities for people to shine through programs and services like health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. Learn more in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, which outlines how we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging. We strive to remove barriers to employment and recognize that diverse staff who reflect the communities we work in enrich the experiences of our participants and our team. As an equal opportunity employer, we invite applications from all qualified candidates including racialized people/people of colour, Indigenous Peoples, disabled people/people with disabilities and members of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities.
If we can make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please let us know when we reach out about a job opportunity so we can work with you to accommodate your needs.
In keeping with our commitment to safety and child protection, job offers are contingent on the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required. Learn more about these checks here.
The YMCA only considers applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, due to the volume of applications we receive, we can only contact candidates who are selected for an interview.