Facility Caretaker (Squamish)
Facility Caretaker (Squamish)
The Facility Caretaker is a key position in the successful operation of the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre (ELFEC). Working under the direction of the Facilities Manager, this position will ensure the site is safe, clean and memorable for all campers. ELFEC’s site includes a recreation hall, dining hall with commercial kitchen, office, workshop, ten cabins, a recreation hall, three washhouses, four residences, a waterfront, trails and forested grounds. Evans Lake is serviced by electricity, a water treatment system, propane, satellite internet, and a septic system. This role seeks an individual who is hard working, a creative problem-solver, can work independently, and work hands-on to fix/repair/replace items.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Facilities Manager, the Facility Caretaker is responsible for:
- Maintenance of ELFEC’s buildings, equipment, supplies and associated infrastructure (including docks, outdoor spaces, trails, etc.).
- Repairing and maintaining grounds, culverts, ditches, driveways and roads.
- Snow removal, including snow-plowing.
- Removal of garbage, composting and recycling.
- Completing regular water sampling and fridge temperature logs.
- Janitorial duties including cleaning, garbage and sanitization of spaces.
- Executing a deep cleaning schedule.
- Landscaping, trail and grounds maintenance.
- Operation of the Levette Lake Recreation Site, including the collection of campsite fees, site cleaning and site maintenance from the May long weekend until Thanksgiving weekend.
- Firewood collection, splitting and storing.
- Camp onsite security during the low season and when camp is not used by a rental group.
- Must be available for weekend work and, as needed, in the evenings.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Hands-on and applied skills (or the ability to learn) of a variety of trades and maintenance areas including plumbing, electrical, carpentry, mechanical systems and landscaping.
- Critical thinking, creative problem-solving and strong initiative.
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills.
- Computer comprehension including emailing, Slack, Microsoft Word & Excel.
- Physical ability and strength. This position involves regular physical activity and labour.
- Under the direction of the Facilities Manager, will supervise contractors and volunteers.
- Removal or fencing off any unsafe areas or items within the site.
- Assist with weekly written safety checks of vehicles, emergency systems, and safety systems.
- Alongside Managers and other staff, is responsible for the safety and security of staff members, user groups, and on-site assets.
- In the case of an emergency the Facility Caretaker will act as the lead staff member, when the Facilities Manager or Program Manager is unavailable.
- Work in collaboration with all ELFEC staff and volunteers to enhance the facility potential.
- Provide courteous and friendly support to clients and staff.
- Collaborate respectfully and effectively with the onsite team.
- Respond to emergency building and grounds related repairs on evening and weekend callout, when required.
REPORTING & EVALUATION
- The Facility Caretaker reports directly to the Facilities Manager.
- Performance evaluations will be done semi-annually with the Facilities Manager.
- Performance to be measured by, but not limited to:
- User group feedback with respect to facility maintenance and cleanliness.
- User group feedback with respect to hosting activities.
- Quality of ongoing maintenance and cleanliness of the camp.
- Achievement of development and implementation areas within the job description.
- Criminal record check including Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS).
- A Small Water Systems (SWS) operator certificate or the ability and willingness to obtain and maintain it.
- A class 5 license and the ability and willingness to obtain and maintain an unrestricted class 4 license.
- May require tasks beyond what is listed on job description to support overall operations of ELFEC.
- Will involve working outdoors year round.
- The Employee understands that, to maintain workplace safety, it is a condition of employment that they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (i.e. two shots for most vaccines) and that they will be asked to provide documentation.
A full-time, year round position, 40 hours per week.
Competitive annual salary, based on experience, education and training; with on-site accommodation optional.
Plus, extended health and medical benefits and cell phone allowance.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications accepted until February 10, 2023
Apply today, as we will be interviewing on a rolling basis
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
~No phone calls please~
Thank you for your interest. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore and learn about the forest.
We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located near Ch’iyakmesh, on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw.