EXCEL (Adventure Course) Program Supervisor
POSITION: EXCEL (ADVENTURE COURSE) PROGRAM SUPERVISOR
REPORTING TO: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMMING
JOB TYPE: FIXED TERM CONTRACT, NON – BARGAINING (SEASONAL)
POSTED DATE: FEBRUARY 10, 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED
EXPECTED START DATE: JUNE 13TH, 2022
CONTRACT END DATE: AUGUST 22ND, 2022
Camp Towhee/Towhee Summer Therapeutic Program treats youth with Mental Health issues complicated by
Learning Disabilities. Located in Haliburton, Ontario, Towhee positively changes the trajectory of kids and staffs
lives. This will be one of the most rewarding, magical and hardest places you will ever work. We provide 10 days
of training covering behaviour management, counselling skills, CPI, mental health and learning disabilities.
If you are interested in a career in the social services, psychology or teaching and/or want to play a pivotal role
in supporting children and youth in feeling safe enough to be their genuine amazing selves – Towhee is the
place for you to get real experience, skill building, and be part of that change. Towhee is operated by the LDMH
(Learning Disabilities and Mental Health) Stream of CDI, a year-round children’s Mental Health Centre in
The EXCEL Program allows campers to learn about and experience teamwork, trust, and the ability to exceed
their expectations through group activities, low-rope initiatives and high-ropes elements. The EXCEL (Adventure
Based Learning) Program takes cabin groups through team challenges, initiatives, and low and high-rope
elements to help develop strong communication, teamwork, and social skills while simultaneously providing a
safe and challenging environment to practice our Challenge by Choice philosophy.
Child Development Institute (CDI) is seeking an EXCEL Program Supervisor, to join our dynamic Camp
Towhee team. The successful candidate will be responsible for helping their team to develop, intentionally
modify, and safely run Towhee’s adventure programming to meet the needs of each camper and cabin group.
Under the director of the Assistant Director of Programming, the EXCEL Supervisor will also be responsible for
actively supervising, managing, and being a resource and role model for their EXCEL staff team.
This position is ideal for someone who is a dynamic relationship builder and team player, with a passion for
helping campers and staff to experience success through participating in and facilitating adventure based
programming, respectively. The position also requires a candidate with experience facilitating camp programs
and activities, including experience with challenge courses and their operation, and experience managing and
helping organize staff teams towards a common goal.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensuring the creation and delivery of safe, effective, and intentional programs from all EXCEL staff.
2. Ensuring the safe operation of the Camp Towhee challenge course, including the inspection of gear
3. Providing direct supervision, feedback, and written evaluation to each EXCEL team member.
4. Perform as a part of the greater Towhee Supervisor Team, which includes the development of staff
training, bonding, and other team building activities.
5. Assist in other areas of the camp by providing direct support and supervision of campers during meal
times, evening programs, bedtime routines and night supervision
6. Adhere to, and interpret to all staff and campers the policies, practices, and procedures of Camp
Towhee, and to act as a positive role model at all times.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
▪ Two (2) or more years in a post-secondary degree or equivalent experience
▪ Previous professional experience working at Towhee or a related program within a camp environment,
▪ Experience supervising and/or working collaboratively with a team
▪ Experience working with children and/or youth, preferably our population
▪ Personal, professional, or educational experiences in a related field
▪ Ability to assume responsibility and exercise good judgment in making decisions within the scope of
authority of the position
▪ Ropes Course Instructor Certification (CUI Level 2) or willingness to obtain
▪ Experience facilitating adventure based learning programming, including the use of high-ropes
▪ Bronze Cross swimming qualifications or higher, strongly preferred
▪ Standard First Aid with CPR C
▪ Must have a current and valid police records check with vulnerable sector screening
▪ Demonstrated ability to work in a respectful and aware manner with groups from diverse background and experiences.
▪ Fast-paced work environment.
▪ Interacts with campers, other staff, supervisors/directors, family members, and visitors as required.
▪ Responsible for overseeing the safe and efficient running of the Camp Towhee Challenge Course,
including set up and take down of elements, the inspection of equipment, and the facilitation of
elements and programs.
▪ Responsible for facilitating high-ropes rescues if required
▪ As needed requirement to lift children (up to 45 lbs.), in addition to bending, stooping, stretching,
squatting, pushing, pulling, sitting, walking, and climbing stairs
▪ Possibility of participation in a 3-4 day canoe trip (possibility of a 10 day trip), involving paddling,
portaging, hiking, swimming, carrying equipment, and sleeping in tents.
▪ Noise level can be moderate to loud.
Frequent physical activity including sitting, standing, walking, running, lifting and generally supporting
campers and staff in camp activities and games, in addition to EXCEL specific duties.
COMPENSATION: Towhee offers competitive camp salaries, which include room/board, and are subject to
applicant qualifications and previous experience
Please complete the Online Application located at (https://www.childdevelop.ca/towhee/staff/staff-application/)
AND submit your chronological resume via e-mail to:
Child Development Institute
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Thank you in advance for your interest. However, due to the volume of resumes received, only those candidates selected for
interviews will be contacted.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
Child Development Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value inclusivity & diversity in the workplace. We
actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not
▪ First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
▪ members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual
beliefs, or place of origin;
▪ persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities; and
▪ persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be complex. We
value the contributions that each person brings, and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in our
Child Development Institute is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. In accordance with the
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Child
Development Institute will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment & selection process to applicants with
disabilities. During any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources of the nature of any
accommodation(s) you may require. Any information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed
All applicants are advised that offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Vulnerable Sector
Note: All CDI employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with CDI Mandatory