Camp Couchiching Learning Centre
Position Title: Educator
Hours: 30 hour/week*- *Strong candidates that are available for less than 30 hours a week are welcome to apply. Please note your availability in your application.
Days/Time: Monday to Friday with varying work hours between the hours of 7:45 am – 6:00 pm
Starting Wage: $18 – 20/hour Starting Date: September 1st, 2021
Organizational Information- Established in 1946, Camp Couchiching is a charity focused on excellence in camping fostering individual growth within an inclusive community. It is located in Longford Mills, Ontario on Lake Couchiching, with off-season year-round offices and program space in Orillia. Originally focused on the summer overnight camping experiences for children and youth, Camp Couchiching has grown to offer day camps, leadership training, local community outreach, community-based programs, and outdoor education opportunities for children, families, school groups and adult groups throughout the year. Camp Couchiching has a strong commitment to provide a fun and meaningful learning experience for children with an emphasis on inclusion.
Job Overview – The Educator position will play an active role in the facilitation and delivery of Camp Couchiching’s Learning Centre program at our Longford Mills location. With support from our Director of Learning and Director of Community Initiatives, Educators will engage students in active play, experiential and nature-based outdoors lessons and programming. We are seeking Educators that are enthusiastic, outdoors-oriented, invested in nature-based learning and creating positive learning environments. The Camp Couchiching Learning Centre will deliver an outdoors, hands-on learning environment where the educational-direction is emergent with the children’s curiosities and aligns with grade-appropriate content. Educators will and will maintain a high level of professionalism with participants, parents and coworkers.
- A passion for working with children to help them reach their full potential
- Work alongside a specialized staff team to facilitate nature-based programming for children ages 4 – 12, with additional programming responsibilities for programs with children ages 1 -5 that have a caregiver chaperone.
- Ensure the safety of all children at all times, including but not limited, forest play, hiking, and other outdoor activities while in close proximity to such things as standing water, streams and other terrain. Pro-active safety considerations for unfavourable weather conditions are also to be considered.
- Responsible for the maintenance and daily preparation of learning areas and materials. This includes sanitization of surfaces and high touch areas.
- Support with professional communications to parents/caregivers on their weekly participation.
- Implement facilitation strategies that are individually focused and age appropriate, with an emphasis on compassion, respect and genuine connection.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and parent meetings as needed.
- Be physically capable of performing teaching duties with enthusiasm regardless of the weather (rain, sleet, snow, heat) including the ability to walk distances and over uneven terrain, carry a backpack and supplies.
- Support the benefits of healthy risk taking, movement, and physical development with children and young children.
- Focus on interpersonal skills as you are interacting with children and parents
- Knowledge in outdoor skills including risk management, environmental knowledge, outdoor self and group-care, and appropriate outdoor clothing.
- A degree or diploma in any of the following fields are preferred but not required.
- Bachelor of Education (preferred)
- Early Childhood Education (preferred)
- Child and Youth Work
- Social Service Work
- Recreation and Leisure Services
- Outdoor Education
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate (or able to obtain).
- Current and clear Criminal Record Check, with a Vulnerable Sector Check
- Must have previous experience working with children and working in an outdoor setting
- Must be comfortable working outside for long periods of time, and maintaining the Educator the responsibilities in the EDucator role in all types of weather conditions
Please send a cover letter and resume in one document or PDF to Hilary Villneff, Director of Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Camp Couchiching Learning Centre thanks you for your application, however only successful applicants will be contacted. No phone calls, please send any questions to email@example.com