YMCA Camp Elphinstone
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $121.65 – $125/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 25th to September 3rd, 2022
Reports To: Resource Director, Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Driver.
The Driver is the primary staff member responsible for safely transporting campers & staff for out-trips, luggage services, our Day Camp bus route, and other trips as needed.
The driver performs regular checks of all vehicles and trailers to ensure they are in proper working order, keeps logs and paperwork up to date, reports deficiencies to the Resource Director, and protects the assets of the YMCA through appropriate use of vehicles and trailers. The driver may be required to assist in duties not listed above, such as assisting with camp programs and camper care.
- Transport participants, staff, and guests in camp vehicles and regularly drive with large luggage trailers and canoe trailers.
- · Ensure that vehicles and trailers are checked before and after each use to ensure they are in working order. Maintain vehicle logs and paperwork.
- · Ensure all YMCA Camp Elphinstone policies and procedures are being met at all times while transporting equipment/passengers.
- · Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- · Class 4 Driver’s License
- · Experience driving with trailers
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- · 3 successful reference checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · Class 1 Driver’s License
- · Advanced First Aid (40+ hours)
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: November 28, 2021. Applications received after this deadline will be considered for subsequent rounds of hiring if positions are still vacant.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.