Dietary Specialist Cook (1 Position)
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $29/hour
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Terms: March – November, 2022 (Full time 5 shifts per week, must be flexible)
Reports To: Head Chef/Food Services Supervisor
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
The Dietary Specialist Cook works as a part of the kitchen staff responsible for the preparation, cooking, serving and clean-up of meals for 40-450 children and adults. The Dietary Specialist Cook is responsible for planning and executing meals for people with special dietary restrictions and allergies in a food safe zone free of contamination. Special dietary restrictions may include vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and other diets.
- · Planning and assisting in the ordering of special dietary meals and ingredients
- · Ensuring correct quantities of dietary meals are prepared
- · Compiling dietary information from participant lists
- · Ensuring all ingredients are listed and available to participants and staff
- · Ensuring no cross-contamination in a designated allergy-safe and contamination free zone
- · Providing friendly, professional customer service to participants and staff
- · General food preparation, cooking, and serving of meals
- · Assist with inventory and stock
- · Ensure a high level of quality, cleanliness, and safety in all food preparation
- · Interacting positively with guests during meals
- · Ensure the safety of all participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff
- · Ensure FoodSafe standards are followed at all times
- · Making sure weekly and daily cleaning checklists are completed
- · Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- · Food Safe level 1
- · WHIMIS Certification an asset
- · Strong knowledge of dietary restrictions and allergies
- · Previous experience in the food service industry preferably a camp environment or equivalent an asset
- · Must possess strong communication, interpersonal and organization skills.
- · Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment
- · Ability to stand for long periods of time and lift up to 50 pounds
- · Ability to work with minimal supervision
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.