Dietary Restrictions Coordinator
Position: Dietary Restrictions Coordinator
Location: YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth
Start Date: May 21, 2023
Compensation: $450/week, based on level of relevant experience working in a kitchen or camp environment
YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth (CQE) is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Georgian Bay Islands National Park on Beausoleil Island just outside of Honey Harbour, Ontario. Since 1953, CQE has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 6-17, including traditional one and two week overnight camps, extended canoe out trips, leadership programs, and outdoor education programs for school groups. The programs offered have a strong emphasis on waterfront activities, canoe tripping, and environmental education. YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools and groups as well as a selection of training events and retreats for camp staff, adults and private groups. Annually, CQE hosts approximately 2000 participants throughout the outdoor education and summer camp programs.
The Dietary Restrictions Coordinator works as part of the Food Service team. Their primary focus is on working directly with the delivery of food service to campers and staff at CQE. This person is responsible for planning and delivering healthy, delicious meals that meet the dietary restrictions of people in our camp community, including but not limited to managing allergies and specific dietary needs such as dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options. They are responsible for managing safety procedures around serious and life-threatening food allergies for campers and staff on site. This position also supports the Food Service and Operations of camp through working with the rest of the kitchen team in food preparation and baking, food storage, and by ensuring a clean and sanitary kitchen.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Adheres to daily, weekly and seasonal kitchen timelines (food prep, delivery and clean up)
- Works in a team to ensures meals and snacks are on time and prepared in a safe kitchen environment. Helps ensures that all meals and snacks are healthy, varied and decision
- Takes the lead in planning and preparing meals that meet the dietary needs of our campers and staff
- Manages the health and safety in the kitchen and proactively manages risks. Ensures that food is prepared and handled in a safe in healthy manner that meets and exceeds Public Health guidelines
- Takes a leadership role with prep cooks when Manager or Assistant manager are not present or available
- Role models the YMCA core values and act as a leader amongst the broader staff team
- Work collaboratively with other areas of camp and is involved in ensuring a smooth coordination of camp programs
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience working with children, youth, and adults in a camp or outdoor education environment or experience working in a kitchen environment
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA human resource policy
- Safe Food Handler Certificate
- Preferred Applicants: A positive person with Food Services and/or camp experience.
- Developing Others
- Quality Results
- Self Development
- Change Capacity
- Emotional Maturity
- Project Management
- Decision Making
Other Position Details:
This position is a seasonal contract. The successful candidate is required to live on site at Camp Queen Elizabeth in traditional cabin accommodations. Time off will be scheduled each session with staff receiving the equivalent of one day off per week.
Submit resume, application form and cover letter by email toto: Isabel Kennedy, Camp Director, Camp Queen Elizabeth email@example.com at (519)-453-8858 x 1100. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. Applications will remain open until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.