Amici Camping Charity
Status: Full-time permanent
Reports to: Manager, Fund Development and Communications
Location: This role is based out of our office in Toronto, but operations remain virtual for the time being. Effective: On or around July 19, 2021
The opportunity: If you are looking to change young lives, Amici (“A-MEE-Key”) offers an opportunity to make your mark by joining the team as our new Development Coordinator. Amici Camping Charity (Amici) is guided by a mission to give children and youth in financial need the chance to discover their full potential through multi-year access to the unique environment of summer camp. Amici’s mission is supported by generous donors, including partner camps, individuals, corporations and foundations. Amici is a dynamic place to work with an engaged Board of Directors, enthusiastic staff and dedicated volunteers ready to help where they can to impact the lives of appreciative campers and families.
The Organization: Established in 1966 as a non-profit charity, Amici changes young lives by sending deserving kids to 44 Ontario Camps Association accredited partner summer camps – for as many years as the camper is eligible. In 2019, Amici partner camps, supporters and volunteers sent 300 kids to camp, for a total of 633 weeks of programming. After a challenging year of sacrifices and upheaval to their routine as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and a summer without camp, children need summer camp more than ever. Amici has a strong track record of collaboration and creating life-changing experiences through the power of summer camp. To learn more, please visit: www.amicicharity.org.
Position Profile: The Development Coordinator will be part of a small team working under the direction of the Manager, Fund Development and Communications (the Manager). The Development Coordinator will advance Amici’s mission through special and community events, as well as support the development, delivery and progress of Amici’s fundraising programs (Individual, Corporate and Foundation Giving). The position works collaboratively with Amici’s donors, volunteers and staff team.
You are the ideal candidate for the Amici team if:
- You are ready to be part of a dynamic team and can both adapt and contribute to an organization in growth mode.
- You are creative, strategic, curious and have a good sense of humour, high energy level and a demonstrated passion for summer camp.
- You are able to communicate effectively, empathetically and tactfully with a variety of individuals in person, by email and over the phone.
- You have well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- You work effectively as a member of a small team and are willing to pitch in and carry out all levels of tasks at hand.
- You are up for the task of building upon and enhancing new and existing programs.
- You take your work seriously, but not yourself.
In collaboration with the Manager, the Development Coordinator facilitates the preparation and implementation of special event fundraising and a comprehensive development strategy including individual, corporate and foundation giving. Key responsibilities include:
Community and Special Events
- Lead the planning and execution of Amici’s annual signature event, Canoe Heads for Kids.
- Manage all other special events as required – i.e. community events, and assist in the development of strategies that will lead to increased revenues.
- Attend community and special events as necessary to oversee activities and ensure logistics are handled as arranged.
- Contribute to the logistics and planning of events put on by Amici’s Young Professionals’ Council (YPC).
- Execute Amici’s communications plan and update accordingly, in collaboration with the Manager.
- Plan and execute Amici’s annual communications calendar, including Amici’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn).
- In collaboration with the Manager, write content for Amici’s website, e-communications, annual report and digital appeals.
- Ensure communications and activities support Amici’s strategy and are consistent with its vision, mission and brand.
- Act as a spokesperson for Amici, as assigned, and speak confidently on the organization’s behalf to a variety of audiences, ex: volunteers, donors and prospects.
Stewardship and Donor Database Administration
- Manage all donor-related administration, including gift processing, tax-receipting, data management, mailings, receiving general phone calls, etc.
- Implement stewardship and recognition strategies ensuring all donors receive correspondence, reports and updates in a timely manner for all fundraising programs.
- Recommend ongoing improvements to processes to increase efficiencies.
- Perform other general administrative duties, as assigned.
- Manage and grow Amici’s Endless Summer Monthly Giving Program.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of Amici’s semi-annual direct response program through traditional direct mail and online/e-commerce efforts to meet the program’s net revenue performance goals.
Individual, Corporate and Foundation Giving
- Contribute to Amici’s annual programs, as assigned, including the Leadership League and Ambassadors Council, by prospecting, soliciting and stewarding individual donors.
- Contribute to the effective solicitation of corporate prospects for philanthropic support in collaboration with the fundraising team and volunteer leadership.
- In coordination with the fundraising team and volunteer leadership, facilitate plans for securing corporate sponsorships (Canoe Heads for Kids).
- Assist the Manager in administering Amici’s Foundation Giving portfolio, including the preparation and delivery of prospect research, application submission, tracking and post-grant reporting.
- In collaboration with the Manager, identify and profile new giving prospects on a rolling basis.
- Maintain relationships as assigned with individuals and representatives from partner camps, corporations and foundations through the planning of an efficient, effective and donor-centered stewardship program as assigned.
Other duties and responsibilities to be determined from time to time, as discussed in advance with the Manager, Fund Development and Communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Ability to be resourceful, flexible and successful in a fast-paced working environment.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills. Evidence of initiative, adaptability, sound judgement, tact, diplomacy, strong sense of ownership, collaboration, attention to detail and creativity.
- Proficient use of Google Suite (Docs, Spreadsheets, Drive) and/or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Canva).
- Post-secondary degree/diploma or equivalent experience.
- 1-2 years experience in fundraising, sales and/or marketing is an asset.
- Event planning experience is an asset.
- Experience with fundraising software (i.e. DonorPerfect and Raisin) and prospecting research tools (i.e. iWave) are an asset, or the ability to learn new technology based interfaces.
- Ability to support event execution, some lifting and carrying to and from events is required.
- An understanding and passion for the power of summer camp!
- The position involves some evening and weekend commitments, including but not limited to, Canoe Heads for Kids lead up activities and event day, YPC and special events.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work environment during the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Compensation: Amici Camping Charity offers competitive compensation and benefits.
Application: To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to Robyn Short, Manager, Fund Development and Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.