Day Camp (Pod) Leader
Evans Lake Forest Education Center
Are you inspired by towering trees, early-morning paddles, discovering networks of underground fungi, and sparking the next generation’s curiousity in the outdoors? Pod Leaders are our day camp leaders. They teach outdoor skills and Eco Fun courses, lead hikes, orchestrate campfires, and so much more – all in the same day! Love hands-on outdoor experiences? Given that all staff stay onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while programs are in session, the action never stops and applicants should enjoy working in a dynamic work environment. Very strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a must, as well as a yearning for an endless summer!
• Responsible for the safety, well-being, and program planning of the campers in your assigned day camp group • Deliver outdoor and environmental education courses and integrate forest themes into all camp programming • Host visitors of all ages
• Lead hikes and outtrips (must be able to hike up to 5kms carrying a pack of up to 50lbs)
• Demonstrate positive leadership/mentorship for students and campers aged 6-16, other staff, & volunteers • Provide basic first aid to campers in your group
• Assist with evening programming for Overnight Camp
• Other duties as assigned (e.g. driving camp vehicles; regular daily cleaning)
• Summer season: July 3rd through August 26th, 2022 • Pre-camp training: June 25th to 29th, 2022
• Comply with Evans Lake’s policies & procedures and take ownership for the safety of clients and staff members Reporting and Evaluation
• Program staff report to the Program Manager and receive mentoring & coaching from other team members • Continuous feedback and communication amongst staff members is encouraged
Required Certifications & Experience
- First Aid Certificate (at minimum an 8-hour basic certificate that includes CPR)
- Additional certifications & licenses are considered to be assets, including a Class 4 driver’s license and certificationsin paddling, first aid, lifeguarding, and/or outdoor recreation & leadership
- Educational backgrounds with special relevance include forestry, outdoor recreation, and educationAdditional Information:
- Compensation begins at $121.60/day, with an increase of up to $6/day, according to experience and certifications.
- Free room and board is also provided when programs are in session.
- To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB
- ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of allmembers of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests
- We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located at Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw(Squamish Nation)
*If follow-up with your application is required, for privacy & confidentiality reasons, we can only discuss an application with the applicant (i.e. no agents, representatives or family members).