Day Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $126-$129/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 15th – September 3rd, 2022
Reports To: Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Day Camp Director.
The Day Camp Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and delivering Camp Elphinstone’s Day Camp program for up to 60 participants (ages 5-12) at a time. This staff member will take the lead on camper care, counsellor development and supervision, section-wide programs, and scheduling of programs and activities for Day Camp.
The Day Camp Director is responsible for the overall safety and wellbeing of every day camper and they provide assistance and support to the Counsellors assigned to Day Camp in dealing with day to day camper situations. The Day Camp Director supports and evaluates Counsellor performance. The Day Camp Director must have extensive previous camp experience.
The Day Camp Director is a member of the senior staff team at camp. The senior staff team will work directly with the Summer Camp Director and Assistant Summer Camp Directors as a leadership team to build a positive camp culture and ensure the safety and overall wellbeing of all camp participants.
- · Provide direct supervision to all counsellors assigned to Day Camp. Provide leadership and role modelling to all staff.
- · Assist with developing and delivering innovative training that supports professional development of staff & volunteers.
- · Organize, plan, and facilitate all Day Camp programs and events.
- · Communicate regularly with parents and guardians in a professional manner.
- · Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff.
- · Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- · NLS
- · Class 4 Driver’s License
- · Previous experience in camping, youth recreation, and/or experiential education
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- · 3 successful reference checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · Pleasure Craft Operators Card
- · Certification in at least one of camp’s core program areas (ACCT Level 1 or 2, Paddle Canada, WFA/WFR)
Please submit your resume and cover letter here.
Application Deadline: November 28, 2021. Applications received after this deadline will be considered for subsequent rounds of hiring if positions are still vacant.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.