Day Camp Director
YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
Reporting to the General Manager of Camping and Outdoor Education, the Day Camp Director is responsible for the leadership and operations of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka Day Camps in Simcoe, Muskoka and Parry Sound (Alliston, Innisfil, Barrie, Orillia, Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, Midland, Gravenhurst and Parry Sound).
The Director is instrumental in planning for day camp sites located throughout our region, hiring and training an exceptional staff team, and ensuring quality experiences for the campers and their families. Key responsibilities include maintaining financial controls, marketing, quality assurance, program development, and recruitment, training and leadership of a day camp staff team.
A major focus for this position will be to plan for the realities of Covid-19 to ensure we serve the needs of our communities, implement and follow Public Health guidance to reduce the spread of Covid-19, and to support and coach a senior staff team of Assist Directors and On-site Coordinators.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
- Monitors the safety of all activities and programs, responding immediately to rectify any safety concerns.
- Continuously builds relationships with all of the members, staff and volunteers. Assists in coaching and development on an on-going basis.
- Ensure that the day-to-day camp operations are safe, age-appropriate and rooted in the YMCA’s Core Values.
- Ensure that camp operations and programs are safe and of high quality. This includes, but is not limited to, meeting and maintaining the following legislation, standards, frameworks: Bill 168, AODA, YMCA Child Protection, Occupational Health and Safety Act, OCA Standards, all relevant guidelines related to Healthy Childhood Development, Healthy Adolescent Development.
- Provide leadership to YMCA philanthropic efforts (annual giving).
- Hire, provide support, training, coaching and supervision of a team of 100+ seasonal employees.
- Work with Coordinator of Administration and Assistant Directors, to ensure a high level of customer service. This includes, managing day to day office duties, schedules and effective camper and family communication.
- Manage government funding applications and tracking.
- Collaborate with community partners and agencies that support the day camp program.
- Work with General Managers and Membership Sales and Services of HFA Centers to ensure quality registration and customer service.
- Manage program supplies and equipment purchasing.
- Facilitate day camp marketing and communication strategies.
- Manage day camp annual budget.
- Models appropriate behaviour in line with our Mission, Vision and Values; establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviours with members, volunteers, and staff.
- Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner. Maintains a positive and professional approach and image with members, volunteers, staff and community partners.
- Administrative duties will include staff scheduling, maintaining records of qualifications, daily log sheets, and waiting lists.
- Must be visible, approachable, and maintain a strong presence while on duty.
- Maintain current qualifications as required by the position.
- Be available and flexible to work days, evenings and weekends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description.
- High school diploma
- Diploma or degree in Recreation & Leisure, Outdoor Education, or applicable field
- Minimum of 3 years of significant leadership experience, preferably in a YMCA day camp environment
- Proven ability in developing and managing a budget
- Quality service training and experience
- Strong demonstrable knowledge & understanding of all relevant standards and legislation regarding the safe and appropriate operation of camps; understanding of OCA Standards
- Standard First Aid, CPR and AED defibrillator training
- Life Saving Society NL
- Have access to a car and have a valid G or higher level of driver’s license
- Mandated training is required before or shortly after commencement of work
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on client needs
ABOUT THE YMCA OF SIMCOE/MUSKOKA:
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka currently serves over 125,000 people in Simcoe County and the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound in Central Ontario. The YMCA is one of the largest charities within our service area, providing over $1.1 million annually of support and access to our programs and services.
With a staff complement of 1200+ full and part-time staff, combined with over 1,000 volunteers and donors, and an operating budget of $39 million, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 30,000 annual members and participants through its eight membership centres in Barrie, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Innisfil, Midland, Orillia, Parry Sound, and Wasaga Beach; 3,000 Child Care families across a number of communities; registers 5,000 day campers in addition to 1,500 overnight campers at YMCA Camp Kitchikewana on Beausoleil Island; over 15,000 people through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park; and counsels over 20,000 people in several community development programs.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “My Y is dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of belonging to each other and the global community.” Our Vision for the future is “My Y inspires people to reach their full potential.”
Applications will remain open until January 21, 2022.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.
If you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of your employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or other Human Rights Code-related exemption.