Day Camp Coordinator
DAY CAMP COORDINATOR
Are you inspired by towering trees, early-morning paddles, discovering networks of underground fungi, and sparking the next generation’s curiosity in the outdoors? Love finding and then amplifying the best in people? The Day Camp Coordinator is a critical team member that helps us accomplish our goal to be both Your Home in the Forest and The Ultimate Summer Camp Experience. Dedicated, energetic, and committed to providing amazing outdoor experiences, they provide support for campers and staff. Coordinators split their time working on administrative tasks, planning, and projects and delivering program content like hikes, outdoor skills and Eco Fun courses, and campfires. Given that all staff stays onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while programs are in session, the action never stops and applicants should enjoy working in a dynamic work environment. Very strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a must, as well as a yearning for an endless summer!
- Demonstrate positive leadership/mentorship for campers aged 6-16, other staff, and visitors
- Assist with the planning and delivery of outdoor and environmental education courses, ensuring forest themes areintegrated into all camp programming
- Assist in running a pre-camp training week for pod leaders
- Responsible for the safety, well-being, and programming for any campers under your supervision
- Coordinate and/or lead hikes and outtrips
- Step in for a pod leader if a pod leader is unable to fulfill their duties for any reason
- Other duties as assigned (e.g. lifeguarding; driving camp vehicles; cleaning; admin duties)Term
• Summer Camp: July 3rd through August 26th. Instructor training: June 18th and 19th. Pre-Camp: June 25th to 29th
• Rental Groups (e.g. visiting school groups) instructor: April, May & June; September & October
• Preference may be given to candidates who can begin in late March/early April and extend through late October
• Comply with Evans Lake’s policies & procedures and take ownership for the safety of clients and staff members Reporting and Evaluation
• Program staff report to the Program Manager and receive mentoring & coaching from other team members • Continuous feedback and communication amongst staff members is encouraged
Required Certifications & Experience
- A 35+hour Advanced First Aid certificate (e.g. Occupational First Aid Level II), or a NL lifeguarding certificate
- Additional certifications & licenses are considered to be assets, including a Class 4 driver’s license and certificationsin paddling, first aid, lifeguarding, and/or outdoor recreation & leadership
- Educational backgrounds with special relevance include forestry, outdoor recreation, and education is an assetAdditional Information:
- Compensation begins at $143/day, with an increase of up to $8/day, according to experience and certifications. Free room and board are also included when programs are in session.
- ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests
- We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located near Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation)
- To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB*If follow-up with your application is required, for privacy & confidentiality reasons, we can only discuss an application with the applicant (i.e. no agents, representatives or family members).