CQE Overnight Camp Counsellor
Position: Overnight Camp Counsellor
Start Date: June 24th, 2023
Compensation: New Counsellor $400/Week, Experienced Counsellor $425/Week- based on experience in a camp work environment
YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth (CQE) is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Georgian Bay Islands National Park on Beausoleil Island just outside of Honey Harbour, Ontario. Since 1953, CQE has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 6-17, including traditional one and two week overnight camps, extended canoe out trips, leadership programs, and outdoor education programs for school groups. The programs offered have a strong emphasis on waterfront activities, canoe tripping, and environmental education. YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools and groups as well as a selection of training events and retreats for camp staff, adults and private groups. Annually, CQE hosts approximately 2000 participants throughout the outdoor education and summer camp programs.
Counsellors work as part of a counselling team with a primary focus of working directly with campers, providing support and supervision. They are responsible for the mental and physical health and wellbeing of the campers in their care. They fill program instruction roles and give leadership to specific program resource areas throughout camp. First year counsellors are expected to develop a broad understanding of CQE and a solid foundation of skills for working at camp. Experienced counsellors will be responsible for offering hands-on support and coaching to new counsellors as part of a counselling pair. Experienced counsellors are required to give leadership to program instruction areas at camp, and most will be responsible for heading a morning activity. Counsellors also give support to Leaders-In Training in counselling placements. In some sessions, CQE Onsite Management and the Counselling Support team will provide opportunities for qualified counsellors to take on more varied roles at camp, including and not limited to the following: leading extended canoe trips, supporting program areas on the Program Team, working with campers with special needs, giving support to counsellors on the Roving Team, joining the Operations/Kitchen staff team, joining the Leadership team, etc. Flexibility and a willingness to take on new challenges are essential qualities for all counsellors.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Provides adequate and engaged supervision of all campers in their care
- Proactively manages emotional and physical risk for campers and colleagues
- Responds quickly and effectively to accidents and incidents
- Plans and delivers creative and skill-based programs for their cabin group and skill-based morning activities
- Brings creativity and inspiration into exciting programs and works to create new creative activities
- Adheres to internal policies and procedures regarding lifeguarding, waterfront, and boating activities
- Adheres to NL standards for lifeguarding
- Plans and leads safe, fun, and challenging outtrips
- Ensures that campers’ life needs are met on trip, including food preparation, campsite management, medication administration, and first aid administration
- Staff are expected to respond when necessary to camper needs any time of day or night
- Maintains a consistently positive attitude,role models the YMCA core values and maintains a healthy lifestyle
Qualifications & Experience:
- National Lifeguarding
- Standard First Aid, CPR C
- Attendance at the CQE Skills Weekend (June 2-4th)
- Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Position Screening
- Preferred Applicants: Fun and responsible individuals looking to focus on the needs of campers. Successful completion of CQE or equivalent leadership programs and/or one year of counselling experience.
- Decision making
- Quality Results
- Emotional Maturity
Other Position Details:
This position is a seasonal contract from June 24th – August 26th, 2023. The successful candidate is required to live on site at Camp Queen Elizabeth in traditional cabin accommodations. Time off will be scheduled each session with staff receiving the equivalent of one day off per week.
- Submit resume, application form and cover letter by email to: Isabel Kennedy, Camp Director, email@example.com at (519)-453-8858 x 1100. Please include the Job Title in the subject line.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our association. We thank all interested applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.