CQE Leadership 2: Venture LIT Trainer
YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth
Position: Leadership 2: Venture LIT Trainer
Location: YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth
Start Date: Late May/Early June 2021
Compensation: Based on experience, starting at $650/week
YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth (CQE) is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Georgian Bay Islands National Park on Beausoleil Island just outside of Honey Harbour, Ontario. Since 1953, CQE has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 6-17, including traditional one and two week overnight camps, extended canoe out trips, leadership programs, and outdoor education programs for school groups. The programs offered have a strong emphasis on waterfront activities, canoe tripping, and environmental education. YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools and groups as well as a selection of training events and retreats for camp staff, adults and private groups. Annually, CQE hosts approximately 2000 participants throughout the outdoor education and summer camp programs.
Venture LIT Trainers are responsible for the overall leadership, preparation, delivery, and summation of the Leadership 2: Venture LIT program. The Leadership 2: Venture LIT program is a month long leadership program for 16 year olds run in July and August based around a 4 week canoe trip in northern Ontario. Prior to each program’s start, the Venture LIT Trainers are responsible for developing the program curriculum, route planning, making travel arrangements, establishing a safety and risk management plan, equipment repair and purchasing, packing food and equipment, and delivering a whitewater training weekend to participants. During the program, they are responsible for all aspects of delivery of the Venture LIT program and the overall safety of the participants. They are also responsible for facilitating our high school credit program as part of the trip experience. After the full program is complete, they will prepare a final report and make recommendations for the future. This position is paired with 1 other Venture LIT Trainer for the entirety of the program and will work closely with the Leadership Manager & Director team.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Ensures the delivery of high quality participant experiences that promote and reflect the YMCA core values and mission statement
- Ensures that participants’ life needs are met while at camp and on trip
- Provides adequate and engaged supervision of participants while at camp and on trip
- Proactively manages emotional and physical risk for participants and staff members on trip
- Responds quickly and effectively to trip-related accidents and incidents
- Ensures all required paperwork is completed on time, including a final report
- Develops and delivers a leadership program curriculum that fosters the development of positive group dynamics
- Provides regular formal and informal written and verbal feedback to all participants
- Delivers an effective whitewater training weekend to participants in the spring
- Packs all food and equipment for trip, paying attention to dietary restrictions for participants
- Completes a detailed trip proposal and route plan for each trip, including a safety management plan
- Implements no-trace camping practices and fosters a connection to the natural world in participants
- Responsible for supervising all elements of the expedition: navigation, food preparation, emergency response, communication, first aid, campsite management, portaging, and paddling
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience working with children, youth, and adults in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Experience guiding canoe trips and paddling moving water
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- National Lifeguard
- Wilderness First Responder
- Swiftwater Rescue Technician 1
- ORCKA Canoe Tripping Level 3
- ORCKA Moving Water Level 2
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA human resource policy
- Preferred Applicants: Mature individuals with extensive camping and outtripping experience. Demonstrated proficiency in camper leadership and excellent wilderness and risk management skills.
- Developing Others
- Self Development
- Change Capacity
- Emotional Maturity
- Stewardship of Brand Culture
- Quality Results
- Project Management
- Decision Making
- Submit resume and cover letter to: Nancy Knyf, General Manager of Overnight Camping, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Job Title in the subject line.
- Deadline for application is April 12, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.