CQE Assistant Director
YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth
Position: Assistant Director, YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth
Location: YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth (May-October)
Start Date: Early May 2021
YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth (CQE) is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Georgian Bay Islands National Park on Beausoleil Island just outside of Honey Harbour, Ontario. Since 1953, CQE has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 6-17, including traditional one and two week overnight camps, extended canoe out trips, leadership programs, and outdoor education programs for school groups. The programs offered have a strong emphasis on waterfront activities, canoe tripping, and environmental education. YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools and groups as well as a selection of training events and retreats for camp staff, adults and private groups. Annually, CQE hosts approximately 2000 participants throughout the outdoor education and summer camp programs.
The CQE Assistant Director position is a seasonal position responsible for ensuring all campers, leadership participants and their families receive high quality experiences that reflect YMCA core values and the YMCA’s Camping Quality Recommended Practices. They are responsible for providing support and training to the staff teams as part of the senior management team at CQE where they will work closely with the Camp Director, the Managers and the entire CQE staff team. This person will split direct supervision of area managers with the Camp Director. The Assistant Director will offer coaching and feedback to area managers, address unique, challenging, and/or persistent situations that arise involving campers and/or staff, facilitate excellent communication and smooth program delivery across various areas of camp, and most importantly create a positive, fun, enthusiastic, safe, and camper-focused attitude amongst the entire staff team.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Ensure the delivery of high quality participant experiences that promote and reflect the YMCA core values and mission statement
- Provide on-site leadership to the daily operation of camp during the entire operating season, as well as leadership in the event of an emergency or crisis at camp
- Assist in training, supporting, and supervising the CQE staff team throughout the entire operating season
- Ensure program facility and equipment are in compliance with existing Health & Safety regulations, general health standards and sound risk-management practices
- Ongoing risk management and crisis response following YMCA procedures
- Ensure excellence in all aspects of OE and summer programming and curriculum through active and thorough team support and ongoing staff and program development
- Maintaining high level of camper care and safety at YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth
- Maintain strong external relationships valuable to the ongoing success of camp
- In the absence of the Camp Director, act as designate in managing all aspects of CQE operations
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate is required to live on site at YMCA Camp Queen Elizabeth from early May to early October in rustic accommodations.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience working with children, youth, and adults in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Previous experience managing and supervising staff in a camp or outdoor education environment (minimum 2 years)
- Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- G Class Drivers License
- National Lifeguard
- Pleasure Craft Operator card
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid (preferred)
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA human resource policy
- Developing Others
- Self Development
- Change Capacity
- Emotional Maturity
- Stewardship of Brand Culture
- Quality Results
- Project Management
- Decision Making
- Submit resume and cover letter to: Nancy Knyf, General Manager of Overnight Camping at email@example.com. Please include the Job Title in the subject line.
- Deadline for application is April 12, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.