Course Logistics Assistant (2 summer Intern positions – paid)
Outward Bound Canada
Position: Course Logistics Assistant (2 summer Intern positions – paid)
Immediate Supervisor: Regional Director
Location: Canmore, AB
Start date: June/July 2021 (8 weeks positions)
Outward Bound Canada is committed to helping Canadian youth change the trajectory of their lives. With young people desiring to thrive in an unpredictable and changing world, OBC, a registered charity, offers social-emotional education through experiential adventures in the outdoors. Since 1969, OBC has inspired over 150,000 participants, with a particular emphasis on providing greater access to those facing socioeconomic barriers, to discover their potential. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Outward Bound Canada has prioritized the health and wellbeing of our employees, participants and the wider community. As of August 2020, we resumed some of our programs and implemented new COVID-19 Field Procedures to prioritize the health and safety of staff and participants. We are looking forward to a renewed connection with youth in nature in 2021.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director, the Course Logistics Assistant will provide support in and out of the field to the program team to accomplish the safe and effective delivery of programs following the systems and procedures in place at Outward Bound Canada’s bases. The primary responsibilities of the position include preparing the organizing logistical systems (including food, equipment, and transportation), supporting both risk management and program development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with OBC logistical systems to support staff out in the field.
- Support the safety, quality, and organization of all logistical systems.
- Assist in the coordination, organization, function, and availability of outdoor supplies.
- Support field staff in packing and preparing all field-going food and equipment.
- Provide timely assistance in administrative functions such as pre-program documentation, progress reports, external and internal communications, log books, vehicle use, receipt management, participant files, and program evaluation and tracking.
- Understand and use program systems and events calendars.
- Monitor the care and staff utilization of equipment storage and inform the Manager of any concerns.
- Be a support to co-workers, volunteers and stakeholders; assist co-workers with their responsibilities in their absence as required.
- Contribute to a positive and dynamic working culture.
- Participate in meetings, and support staff meetings as required.
- Adhere to all OBC policies and guidelines, and applicable legislation as they relate staff and volunteer practices.
- Implement staff training and orientations in the areas of equipment care, use and storage.
- Inform staff of systems and procedures related to gear, equipment, vehicles and trailers.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Working knowledge of outdoor gear and outdoor pursuits
- Attention to detail and the ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Position requires a police background check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check
$15.00 per hour, 35 hours/week
READY TO APPLY?
Please send cover letter and CV to webform (trip log is not required): https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=8ef15d78cef64aaa9a100ec4a6eb5eba
Indicating “Course Logistics Assistant – Rocky Mountain”
The position is in collaboration with Canada Summer Jobs and has eligibility criteria including:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment.
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident or person whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee protection act.
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
Application deadline: June 25, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience beyond the technical requirements of a job, if your experience is close to what you see listed, please consider applying. Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. We encourage applications from all individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, racialized people, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and all other equity-deserving groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage during the hiring process.