Camp Awakening is Hiring! Male Summer Camp Staff (Seasonal)
POSITION TYPE: Seasonal/Summer (late June to late August)
LOCATION: Camp Awakening Boys’ Program at Kilcoo Camp in Minden, ON
Do you love the outdoors and trying new things? Do you love being social, making new friends and being silly? Do you enjoy going on adventures? Are you a positive role model and want to make a difference in the lives of children and youth with physical disabilities? Are you looking for the summer job of a lifetime? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should consider applying to work at Camp Awakening this summer!
ABOUT US: Founded in 1982, Camp Awakening is a registered charity offering overnight summer camp programs that give youth with physical disabilities the opportunity to increase independence, make lasting friendships, develop confidence, and accomplish things they never thought possible.
Camp Awakening is currently seeking enthusiastic male staff members for our Boys’ Program at Kilcoo Camp in Minden, Ontario. Our staff create opportunities for youth with physical disabilities to make friends with other campers just like them and accomplish things that they never thought they could before. Building on our 40 years of experience, Camp Awakening staff are positive and energetic team players and role models who are skilled at adapting activities to meet each campers’ desire for adventure. This position includes room & board and requires the successful candidate to live on-site at Kilcoo Camp from the end of June until the end of August.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- The health, safety, and well-being of campers is the primary responsibility of all staff members
- Assist and support campers with all camp activities. Adapt and modify as necessary to ensure meaningful participation and inclusion.
- Assist and support campers with self-directed activities of daily living (eating, dressing, toileting, etc.) and personal hygiene routines.
- Inspire campers to discover strengths & capabilities, try new things, and challenge their perceived limitations in a supportive and safe environment.
- Complete camper evaluations, reports and other administrative duties, as assigned.
- Attend all scheduled Awakening and Kilcoo meetings and training sessions
- University or college student. Studies in recreation, health or social service fields an asset.
- Current Bronze Cross or National Lifeguard lifesaving award
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR ‘C’ certification
- Proof of vaccination
- Recreation or summer camp experience. LIT or CIT program an asset
- Previous experience working with youth with physical disabilities an asset
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling
- Standing for long periods of time
- Stopping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling
- Ability to lift 20kg
- This position involves working mostly outdoors in various environments and temperatures
Compensation and Contract Details
- Mandatory Camp Awakening staff training is Friday, June 10th – Sunday, June 12th
- Kilcoo Camp will run site specific training prior to the start of camp. Dates TBD.
- Summer camp runs from Friday, July 1st – Sunday, August 21st
- In addition to having a fantastic summer surrounded by positive and engaged team members and campers all room and board are included in your stay at camp for the summer
- Compensation is between $2,400 and $2,800 for first year staff at Camp Awakening
To Apply: Please complete the 2022 Camp Staff Application here and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “counsellor-male” in the email subject. All applications must be received by noon on Thursday, March 10, 2022; however, we will review applications as received.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Camp Awakening is committed to employment equity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. We value inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. If you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment & selection process please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.