Number of Positions: 2
Reports To: Manager of Camp Operations
Compensation: $115/day plus room and board
Locations: Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON) or Camp Woodeden (London, ON)
Employment Dates: February 1, 2022 – May 31, 2022 (Part-time, offsite)
Woodeden: June 1, 2022 – August 8, 2022 (Full-time, onsite)
Merrywood: June 1, 2022 – August 30, 2022 (Full-time, onsite)
Reporting directly to the Manager of Camp Operations (MCO), the Counselling Director is an integral part of the Leadership Team and shares responsibility for planning, implementing, and overseeing an inclusive, anti- oppressive, camper-focused camp program and culture. The CD is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the camp program as it relates to the counselling team and camper care and directly supervises the Cabin Leaders. The CD will work closely with the Assistant Camp Director to ensure Program Counsellors are supported in their roles within camper cabins.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Work as an integral member of the Leadership Team.
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of the summer camp counsellors.
- Assist in planning staff training/pre-camp and provide opportunities for staff development throughout the summer and shares responsibility for planning, implementing, and overseeing an inclusive, anti- oppressive, camper-focused camp program and culture.
- Work with the camp director and leadership team to implement a risk management plan for the camp.
- Responsible for camper safety and issues, including camper care and discipline, staff cabin assignments and responsibilities.
- Ensure that cabin programs (hang time, cabin choice, etc.) are of a high quality, challenging, creative, and safe programs for campers of all ages and abilities.
- Meet regularly with the counselling staff.
- Supervise and evaluate the cabin leaders, counsellors, and volunteers on a regular basis, both formally and informally based upon their personal goals, and provide them with written evaluation midway and upon completion of their contract.
- Liaise/mediate between the cabin staff when conflicts arise.
- Ensure proper completion and timely submission of all reports.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual, Leadership Team Manual and Nursing Manual. Be familiar with the OCA standards and the REG. 503/17: Recreational Camps.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager of Camp Operations.
Physical Aspects of the Position
- Ability to communicate and work with groups and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper and staff behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-support techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations, and lead emergency procedures.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Able to manage lifting, some bending, stooping and stretching as well as daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
2+ years senior camp experience preferred, G Class license or willing to obtain, Preference given to those who have studied in a child development related field.
- Work part-time offsite from February-May and full-time onsite from June – August.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
- Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
- Onsite housing provided for camping season; meals provided during camp sessions.
- June – August eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
- Required to be on-call for one of the changeover periods during the summer.
How to Apply: Please complete our online application form, which can be found at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.