Camp Kawartha is Hiring Canoe Trippers!
Camp Kawartha is actively seeking individuals interested in working in outdoor settings with children this summer! We’re looking to hire two canoe trippers this summer, who will work closely with the rest of our tripping team to provide campers with a fantastic experience on canoe trips out in Algonquin Park and the Kawartha Highlands.
If interested in this position, please send a resume and cover letter to our Summer Camp director at email@example.com.
Canoe Tripper Job Description
Responsible to: Tripping Director & Summer Camp Director
- Ensures the safety of campers on trip and on site (includes safe food handling, water treatment, safe campsites, exercises judgment about safe canoeing conditions)
- Ensures the physical and emotional safety of campers and fellow staff
- Monitors campers’ health and manages camper hygiene
- Conducts camper screening prior to trip to assess skills, ability and history
- Creates a comfortable, respectful and fun tripping experience
- Ensures packing, storing and timely ordering of food and supplies for trips
- Assists tripping program in care, inventory and maintenance of all tripping equipment
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) or Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification or willingness to get certified before the summer
- National Lifeguard (NL) certification or willingness to get certified before the summer
- Experience leading canoe trips in provincial and national parks
- Skills in planning canoe trips, cooking, setting up camp, portaging, and navigating
- Land-based knowledge and an interest in the natural environment
- Experience working with children
- Experience working in an outdoor setting is an asset
- An interest in collaborating, team work, a passion for education and community
Camp Kawartha is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. The Camp will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs.
Camp Kawartha is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate the diversity of our camp community including differences in race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity. We welcome candidates representing such diversity.