|Camp Tamakwa is a children’s overnight summer camp in Algonquin Park located 2.5 hours north of Toronto. Founded in 1936, Tamakwa is home to over 250 boys and girls aged 7-16. Tamakwa prides itself on traditional values, camp spirit, safety and skill development. Tamakwa’s rich traditions, family atmosphere, and unique site distinguishes itself, along with numerous watersports, landsports, creative arts, outdoor skills activities, as well as a premier canoe tripping program.
CANOE TRIP LEADER JOB DESCRIPTION
Canoe tripping is a cornerstone program at Camp Tamakwa. Taking advantage of our beautiful location, Canoe Trip Leaders (Trippers) spend their summer paddling and portaging through Algonquin Park leading groups of up to six campers, ages 7-16, and two staff members on canoe trips ranging from two to fifteen days. Canoe tripping with Camp Tamakwa offers campers the opportunity for individual challenge, team building, adventure and an appreciation of nature. Every camper will embark on a canoe trip as an important and valued part of their camp experience.
Trippers report directly to the Canoe Trip Director and Camp Directors and are responsible for all aspects of the canoe trip experience including ensuring the safety and well-being of campers and staff while upholding the values and traditions of Camp Tamakwa’s canoe tripping program. Trippers are issued a full outfit of tripping equipment (tent, canoe, pack, items for an outdoor cooking, etc.) and are responsible for providing their own personal tripping needs such as sleeping bag, PFD, and appropriate personal gear (rain wear, good footwear, and clothing).
All Trippers attend a pre-camp training period in June that includes a four-day canoe trip with the Canoe Trip Director and senior Trippers. This trip enables all Trippers to become familiar with Algonquin Park and all it has to offer while also learning wilderness travel skills, and Camp Tamakwa’s canoe tripping policies and emergency protocols.
Camp Tamakwa supports the growth and development of emerging leaders in the field of outdoor adventure education with our Canoe Trip Leader-in-Training program. Older and experienced Canoe Trip Leaders will support this initiative by acting as mentors to the Canoe Trip Leaders-in-Training both on the trail and in camp. As a mentor you will be called upon to share your wilderness skills and experience, allow opportunities for the Canoe Trip Leaders-in-Training to develop their leadership skills, and provide timely feedback to help them grow and develop throughout the summer.
Trippers are responsible for:
- Working with the Canoe Trip Director and other Head Staff to plan and deliver a fun personalized canoe trip program for the campers
- The planning and preparation of each trip, leadership on the trail, and evaluation of their trips when they return to camp
- Prior to the trip:
- Meeting with campers and staff to plan a menu based on allergies and preferences, preparing and packing the food
- Consulting with the Medical Staff to review health concerns and medications required
- Ensuring all campers and staff are ready for the trip with adequate clothing and personal gear
- During the trip:
- Teaching campers and staff paddling and portaging skills
- Ensuring that you and your group adhere to the rules of Algonquin Park as noted on your backcountry permit
- Acting as responsible and respectful ambassadors of Camp Tamakwa
- Modeling, teaching and reinforcing the proper use and care of the tripping equipment
- Guiding the staff team, that consists of counsellors and CITs
When in camp the Trippers are often called upon to help with a variety of activities that may include: assisting with moving campers in and out of camp, teaching canoe trip skills, lifeguarding, and participating during camp-wide events.
All Trippers must have a valid bronze cross.
This position includes a competitive salary and a fantastic summer at camp, with potential for spring and fall contracts.
Spend your summer in beautiful Algonquin park and on the sunny shores of South Tea Lake!
Please apply by visiting www.tamakwa.com to complete our staff application.