Canoe Trip Leader
Camp Kirk empowers neurodiverse kids and youth to reach their potential through recreational programs. Within a small and nurturing community, our programs emphasize strengths so that participants can develop confidence, connection and community. Camp Kirk supports neurodiverse kids and youth, ages 6-17. The majority of our campers have learning disabilities, autism, and/or ADHD
Canoe Trippers are responsible for planning and facilitating Camp Kirk’s wilderness canoe trips. Each canoe trip is composed of one Canoe Tripper, two camp staff, and up to six campers. Trips vary in length from 1 to 5 days. The Canoe Tripper is responsible for all aspects of trip facilitation, including:
- ‘Pre-trip’ training and preparations with campers and staff (i.e. packing, leave-no-trace training, route overview, etc.)
- Packing all food, equipment, and personal gear
- Managing trip equipment storage, inventory, and required care.
- Ensuring the physical and emotional wellbeing of all trip participants
- Engaging in risk management practice to ensure a safe trip
CONTRACT DETAILS + COMPENSATION
Contracts will be offered for individual sessions, and applicants are welcome to apply for multiple contracts throughout the summer season.
- Contract dates: (includes trip prep, facilitation, and clean-up)
– Leaders-In-Training trip (ages 16-18, July 17-21)
– Session 4 trips (ages 11-16, August 4-10)
– Session 5 trips (ages 11-16, August 17-23)
- Compensation: $150/day + room and board
REQUIREMENTS + EXPECTATIONS
- Must be at least 19+ years old by June 2023
- Previous experience leading wilderness canoe trip for kids and/or youth
- Wilderness First Aid certification by June 2023
- Bronze Cross certification by June 2023
- All staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Once hired, applicants must be willing to secure the following before their start date:
- Criminal Record Check
Fill out an Application through the Camp Kirk website: campkirk.com/staff-application/. You will be required to upload a copy of your resume as part of the application.